04.

04 - the crash

Despite the small talk we occasionally made in Biology, I didn't know anything about Edward Cullen

Despite the small talk we occasionally made in Biology, I didn't know anything about Edward Cullen. I tried not to be bothered by it, but he was a rather bipolar person who was sometimes in the mood to chat and help me with the work, and other times didn't even look at me. At the same time, his sister had stopped coming up to me since that day in gym class.

On this particular day, Edward decided to speak to me. Not much, but he commented on my changed behavior, and my effort to actually study Biology. What he didn't know, was that I hoped by improving my grades, I could get Angela Weber as my partner again.

"When is prom again?" I ask Teresa as the final bell rings and we excuse ourselves.

"I can never remember, why?"

"Well, Eric Yorkie asked me for music recommendations for it. Since apparently I listen to party rock shit and slow romantic music." I told her. "And we still need to plan on going to Port Angeles for dress shopping unless we plan on getting our dresses from Second-Chances."

"Yeah, I'd rather not. Oh there's Eric, I'll go ask him now," Despite being on the student council and unwilling part of the prom planning committee, Teresa couldn't be bothered to remember the actual date of it. The only reason she was going to prom was because Jay and I were forcing her, and her mother had convinced her to be in the planning party.

"Okay." I watch her walk off to speak to Eric when I spot Bella Swan not too far off, earbuds in, and book open.

"Bella! Hey!" I join her in front of her truck. "What are you reading?"

She shows the cover of an extremely worn Wuthering Heights. It's tabbed and dog-eared making me believe it's a favorite of hers. Personally, I hate the book, read it for Literature class once and ended up finding the SparkNotes version to finish the assignment.

"Have you read it?" She asks, taking out her earbuds to converse with me.

"Once-" There's a sudden screeching in my ears, and my head whips around to see Tyler Crowley's van speeding towards us. Tires locked from the ice and out of control. My brain and body don't spend time thinking, instead, I yank Bella by the hood of her jacket and pull us back with enough force that I lose my footing.

Then a crashing sound, metal grinding against metal as my body smacks against the concrete. My skull screaming in pain along with the student body. Black seeps into my vision as confused yelling and crying fill my ears. My mother's medical advice keeps me trying to keep my eyes open despite the pain. Cold icy hands lift my head off the concrete as people rush around Bella and me.