14.

14 - the gossip

"You are so fucking late, Heather!" Jay screeches when I finally pull up to her house, Wednesday evening

"I'm sorry! Edward was walking me through my Trig homework and he was making it so easy for me to understand that I lost track of time!" I apologize, hitting the gas and picking up speed once we're out of eyesight of Mrs. Deidra. "It's only twenty minutes!"

"Twenty minutes is a lot!" She objects.

"I said I was sorry! Look, Teresa probably didn't notice she's always unreasonably early!" I remind her, halting at a stop sign, letting the one-car traffic drive by.

"You are so obsessed with him! It's Edward this! Edward that!" She mocks me, "Blah blah blah. And now it's ruining your time management."

"How many times do I have to say I'm sorry!" I exclaim, reaching the Carver Cafe. "And weren't you the one who was all up in my case with 'Oh Heather and Edward dating ohhh'."

"First of all- I don't even sound like that!" She objects as I open the door for her. "And like yeah, I'm glad you've got a hot but also kinda creepy boyfriend. But you need to still be like, responsible."

"I was being responsible, with my education. With his help I got all of my Trig and Biology homework done." I inform her as we slide into the booth where Teresa is waiting.

"God, y'all were so late." Teresa comments, looking at the menu even though she always order the exact same Garden Burger with a salad instead of fries. Which Jay and I deplore.

"We're always late." I argue back, not bothering with the menu.

"She was talking to her boyfriend and lost track of time. Too busy talking about how much they wish they were making out and having sex instead of being alone." Jay cackles, warranting stares from nearby restaurant patrons.

"Could you have said that any louder?" I hiss. "And we haven't even kissed once."

"Ew, boring." Jay scoffs, Teresa is laughing at us as per usual. "So what do y'all do?"

"Yeah, tell us about this sudden romantic involvement? What's going on with that?"

"Oh, so you can stop cackling to gossip about my life?" I accuse, throwing a sugar packet at her.

"What do you talk about-"

"Will it be the usual for you girls?" Cora, one of the main waitresses here, comes up to our booth and asks. "Or are you wanting to spice things up a little?"

"Sorry." Jay squeaks. "Oh my god, I'm embarrassed."

"Yeah, the usual." Teresa speaks up.

"You should be embarrassed Jay, just wait until I tell Mrs. Deidra." I threaten as Cora walks away.