Masked

People are keeping things from me.

It's nothing new and not entirely realistic when your father practically leads an organised crime ring. But it still stings nonetheless when it comes from the people you know and love.

There have been many times when Leo has kept things from me and I never took it to heart. Simply because of the fact that he's my father's right-hand man and there are bound to be things he doesn't tell anyone unless he wants to be at the mercy of my father.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive but the recent days have drained me, words cutting deeper than they usually do, acts tugging at my heart as if some sort of personal revenge being taken out on me.

Getting up from my half-eaten food, I ignore the awkward atmosphere that has been created and trudge to my room. Leo doesn't bother calling after me and Rico merely keeps his eyes focused on his plant, not daring to look any other way.

First, it was Luca and Leo and now it's Leo and Rico. All of them simply lie to my face and not bothering to act as if they should skirt around me at the very least.

My day doesn't go very well and I find myself lounging around in my bed much as I was doing before coming for dinner. Absolutely nothing to distract the thoughts plaguing my mind and not allowing me to do anything else.

Getting up, I let out a loud sigh while stretching my arm's far above my head, enjoying the way the joints in my body crack deliciously; letting out all the pent-up tension.

With one last longing look at my laptop with Netflix still running, I decide to give up entirely on the show I was trying to watch. The light comedy not doing anything to uplift my mood.

It doesn't take me long to understand what I need to do to find some peace of mind, the night sky outside is windy with clouds thundering before the onslaught of rain.

I can tell there's still quite a while before the rain starts to pour and that's more than enough for me.

Putting on an appropriate jacket, I zip up my black faux leather boots before sending a text to Rico that I'm heading out for a bit, ensuring that I'll be discreet.

The man doesn't take long in sending me a thumbs up, just telling me to be aware of my surroundings. I even send him my live location so if worst comes to worst, he'll know exactly where I am.

As much as I'm not a fan of Rico, I still feel petty and don't feel like updating Leo on my movements. Telling Rico to do the job for me.

Making my way down the long flight of stairs, I'm taken aback by the sight of Rico standing at the front entrance. His buzzcut is a dead giveaway as to who stands in the dimly light threshold.

"I thought you'd need keys to take one of the cars."

I nearly facepalm at the lack of thought behind my plan, grateful that at least one person thought things through.

"Thanks. I'll be back soon. I won't take long."

Rico nods at my words but say's nothing else and so I take that as my cue to leave.

It doesn't take me long to situate myself in the comfortable car. The large vehicle is thankfully automatic since manual cars always seem to be a pain in the ass. Luckily, the drive isn't that short and I'm thankful for the fact since the drive helped to clear my mind. The long winding roads which led through the countryside were more than enough to keep my mind free of any self-pity.

Driving at a steady pace, I lower the windows, breathing in the earthy scent that permeates the air, indicating the downpour that is about to come.

The all too familiar off road soon greets my eyes. Once upon a time, this would be a place I would actively avoid, the pain too much to bare but now I find solace in the quiet peace that clings to every surface, the solitude melancholic but equally serene. Driving up into the small parking lot, I park nearest to the entrance.