40

Adrian

I got out of the site early. I won't tell anyone it's because I got into a minor altercation with a coworker of mine that's been pissing me off for the last few months and got sent home to cool off, but that's what happened.

So you can imagine my shitty day growing shittier when I show up to my nephews soccer practice, not wanting to be alone in my apartment, and find my girl flashing those dimples of hers to the prick from the bar. The only prick that she didn't seem to have a problem with that night.

It was just this morning that felt like pure bliss with Emory and now that feels like it happened ages ago and I have the urge to deck some pretty-boy blonde in the face.

"The fuck is he doing here?" I ask Gray who isn't too happy with the two of them either.

"No clue, but she's been over there a while and these two drunks won't let me go drag her ass back here" he grumbles, gesturing to Addie and Sara who are not so subtly blocking his path.

"They're just talking" Sara rolls her eyes, avoiding looking at us at all as she keeps her gaze zoned in on her son.

"And we aren't even that drunk anymore because Captain Sobriety Check took our thermos" Addie huffs, spinning so that she looks up at me with that same look in her eyes she always has when we're together.

"You're off early" she beams all sweetly, I'm guessing riding the last of whatever alcohol is flowing through her.

"Rough day" I grunt, my gaze flitting between her and her sister who throws her head back with another laugh.

I know she saw me and I know she feels my gaze on her but she's refusing to give me her eyes.

I also know it's because of those godforsaken boundaries she set last night but it's pissing me off because she's over there and I'm over here.

"Poor thing...how bout a margarita?" Addie grins.

"No" Grayson snaps and she deflates.

"You used to be so fun" Addie sighs and that makes Grayson scoff.

"We're at a kids soccer practice, Addie, stop being such a baby" he hisses.

"Stop being such a baby- you're a baby!" She mocks and hisses back, Sara and I watching in amusement.

"Oh, real mature" Grayson retorts and then Addie attempts to spin and march towards him but she twists all sorts of wrong and stumbles into my arms.

"You Harts and your terrible balance" I chuckle, steadying her and ignoring the slight blush in her cheeks. Addie looks up at me with wide eyes and bright red cheeks making me stifle another laugh. Don't get me wrong, Adeline Hart is beautiful. That Hart gene is ridiculously strong in the beauty department, but there's only one woman that carry's that gene and has the ability to turn me stupid.

And she's the only one I ever want to be holding, period.

So, I muster up the friendliest smile I can and ask my dear friend if she's okay.

Addie nods, her hands tightening on my forearms like her life depended on it. She's nervous as shit.

Christ, for someone so beautiful, she really doesn't have the best game, does she?