49

Emory

Gary has been nice all week long. It's weirding me out if I'm being honest. I think I prefer the douchebag he usually is.

Everyone's being extra nice and careful around me. mom calls me at lease twice a day, Addie makes it a point to text me whenever she can and threatens to show up if I don't respond in less than ten minutes. Gray checks in whenever he can as well and Xander calls at least three times a day on top of the multiple messages about whatever it he's doing at work or at home.

They're all so overbearing right now that it both warms my heart and makes me want to throw myself off of my balcony.

It's the end of my first full week back at work and I'm feeling better, lighter even now that everything's out in the open. I didn't realize the few days I took off felt longer than it was but it was clearly needed.

I feel closer to my family and free of the crushing weight I've carried for so long regarding my father. Its strange but I'm not complaining, no matter how overbearing and protective everyone is.

I'm startled when someone knocks on my front door and I rush over to open it, my fantasy novel in hand, my index finger between the pages because I forgot my bookmark.

Swinging it open, my whole heart explodes and my cheeks get warm.

Adrian stands there, looking all dolled up like he had last week, a bouquet of flowers in his hand and he's grinning down at me.

A grin like that'll make any woman fall.

"What are you doing here?" I ask despite the stupid smile on my face and the complete relief I feel to have him here with me.

I hadn't seen much of him all week. He stopped by twice while the rest of our week was spent exchanging phone calls and text messages that would make anyone blush.

"It's our first official date, go get dressed" he nods down at me and I sigh playfully.

"I don't know, this book was just getting good" I shrug, holding up my novel and biting back a smile when his eyebrow quirks.

"I'm standing here with flowers and gel in my hair, Hart!" He scoffs and I lean against the door.

"I prefer you without the gel" I scrunch my nose and squeal when he grabs a fistful of the sweater I'm wearing to tug me into him, his lips skimming my jaw.

"I'm trying to be a gentleman tonight and you're being bratty" he nips at my skin and it makes me shiver.

Christ, I've missed his touch.

"Yeah, what's new?" I tease, pressing a kiss to his cheek and stepping back, prying his fingers from my sweater and letting him inside.

"What is my attire?" I ask, bookmarking my page and setting my book down in my coffee table.

When I spin to face Adrian, he's smiling at me before eating up the distance and wrapping an arm around my waist, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck.

"I missed you" he murmurs and it just absolutely melts me.

"What a big softie" I tease some more, sliding my hands into his hair. Well, I try to, it's a lot harder with all the gel.