56

Emory

"No one was going to inform me that my own children were in a fight? Why was I not in the loop? Why am I never in the loop? I just saw the three of you not too long ago and it was beautiful! My kids were cuddling! I haven't seen my children cuddle since you were in elementary school, Emory and now you're telling me your brother hasn't spoken to you in over a week? I'm calling a family dinner and if you don't show up, so help me Jesus-"

"Mom!" I cut off her babbling with a groan, rubbing my temples as I hover over my phone that lays flat on my kitchen counter.

"Don't take that tone with me, Emory Beatrice Hart!" She snaps and it makes me swallow another groan.

I just got home from work and like the sneaky voodoo woman she is, she called me as soon as my front door shut behind me.

It's like she's watching me.

She figured out what happened. I'm assuming from Grayson because I texted Addie during my mothers rambling and she said she didn't say anything.

I'm just glad Grayson is talking to someone.

"It's not a fight"

"Then what is it?"

"A disagreement?" I try and sigh when she scoffs.

My mother just scoffed at me. Great.

"We all knew this would happen, Mom, I don't understand what you're rambling about" I say.

"I told you to tell them, I told you this would happen and now my kids are fighting!" She laughs bitterly and I can picture the way she's pacing and pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I was going to tell them, I just happened to be too late and now my brother hates me!" That calms her a bit, her sigh sounding sad for me, which I hate.

"He doesn't hate you, Bee"

"He does. He hasn't answered any of my texts or calls or Adrian's or Addies and he kicked Adrian's ass twice now! He hates me and I've ruined us!" I repeat the words I've told myself since I last saw my brother and it doesn't get any easier to accept.

"Honey, that's not true and you need to get that out of your head now, okay? No feud will happen between any children of mine, got it? Not when I've got a say in things" she says with that mom voice and it makes me smile a little bit.

"I'm sleeping with his best friend"

"You love a man, Emory, there's a very big difference" Mom corrects me and the more often it's brought up, the stronger the urge I have to tell Adrian that I love him grows.

"What if we never get over this? What if this is Grayson's choice and I have to live with that?" I frown.

"Is Adrian worth it?" Her question makes me straighten my spine and my heart hammers in my chest.

On cue, my apartment door opens and Adrian walks right in like he's done every day for the last however long it's been since he's been staying here and spots me in seconds.

Those green jewels sparkle and his grin widens making my knees weak.

"Emory?" Moms voice brings me back and I take her off speaker, bringing the phone to my ear with a soft smile.