prologue

|PROLOGUE|
THE NIGHT WE MET

When vampires came 'out of the coffin,' everyone was either scared, bewildered, shocked or all three. No one knew quite how to act which is why her friends went completely silent once the video store owner appeared. His pale skin was a dead-giveaway.

While her friends had talked amongst each other, she had stayed silent. She wasn't a social butterfly by any means and that was mostly attributed to the fact that she had no friends growing up. Her abnormal pure white hair color labeling her a freak. She often thought the group she was with now only invited her to come along out of pity.

But since she wasn't talking, it was easy for her to notice when her friends went completely silent. Eira looked up, her eyes meeting the vampire that had captured their attention. His pale, blue eyes were staring straight at her and it caused a blush to rise to her cheeks.

When Eric saw her, he froze immediately. She was dressed in a oversized sweater and jeans which left everything to his imagination but it wasn't her looks that gave him pause (although her green eyes were quite striking). It was the scent of her blood; the sweetest he'd ever smelt in his lifetime.

She looked to her friends again, seeing some of them with terrified looks in their eyes. She shook her head before stepping forward with a smile, "Hi...can you help us?"

"I can help you," the long-haired blond retorted.

"O-Okay," she stuttered, his intense look making her nervous.

Eira went around finding the movies to rent with the blond while her friends stayed huddled together. She was disappointed in them and she apologized to the blond vampire, "I'm sorry about them. They shouldn't be afraid."

"And you're not?" he questioned.

"Should I be?" she looked up at him, realizing he was far closer than expected which made her nervous.

"Not of me. I wouldn't hurt someone as beautiful as you are," he answered which caused another blush to rise and he smirked. "But not everyone thinks like me."

"And you are?" Eira questioned as she looked away to reach for the movie on the shelf at the same time he did, their fingers brushing.

"Eric," his eyes were glued to the vein on her neck as she looked away. She smelt so very sweet. Heaven.

"Eira," she responded and she felt his breath on her neck as he spoke against her ear. "It is lovely to meet you, Eira."

         ________

            Her friends all thought she was so brave for talking to the vampire. All of them had decided that they weren't going back to the that video store. Their prejudices rubbed Eira the wrong way but Eira decided that they just didn't know any better.

           Since none of them were going back to the video store, that left Eira to return the rented movies. She arrived the following week and went to the counter to return them. A long-haired blonde greeted her with a smirk, "You must be Eira. Eric was right; you do smell sweet."