chapter ten

| TEN |
HOW TO WAKE A VAMPIRE

        Eira immediately burned the letter in her hands using her powers so no one would ever know its contents. The knowledge alone would put her in danger if someone had ever found out what was written on the letter. She alone would know its secrets and...who she decided to tell.

          Eric.

        It wasn't even a choice in her mind to tell him. She trusted him completely with everything. She wanted to tell him while it was still daylight so there was no chance of any other vampires hearing their conversation. But waking a vampire from sleep proved quite the task.

          "Eric," she kept calling his name as she tugged on his arm while he was in his coffin. She even pinched him. But there was no response. She sighed.

            She didn't think it would be so difficult. Eric had told her that he had dreams when he slept so she assumed that vampires had some sort of consciousness when they were asleep, some sort of sense to the outside world. Apparently not.

           She now realized how vulnerable vampires were when they were sleeping. How vulnerable Eric was. She remembered that Eric told her that those vampires that came into Merlotte's that wanted her blood were attacked during the daylight; the house had been set on fire and none of the vampires sensed anything until they were literally burning all because they were sleeping.

Eira stared down at Eric protectively as she caressed his cheek softly. Then she glanced at his lips and gained an idea. She thought it was stupid and that it wouldn't work but she didn't have any other ideas besides using silver for only a moment to wake him but that involved pain and she'd never do that to Eric. So she pressed her lips ever so softly to his and hoped he would sense it.

When her lips touched his, it was like being kissed by the sun. It was painless and every part of him buzzed with warmth. He felt more alive when she kissed him than any other time in his one thousand year existence. It was the only feeling he could never be dead to.

He immediately awoke and Eira felt his lips respond to hers. Their lips molded together as he deepened the kiss and tangled his hands in her hair. Her pulse raced and she felt butterflies. She almost let herself get lost in kissing him before she pulled away.

"Eric," she breathed out. "We need to talk."

"Later," his thumb caressed her lower lip as he stared at them hungrily.

"No, now," she climbed out of the open coffin. "I need to talk to you before the daylight is gone."

He furrowed his eyebrows and followed after her curiously. Instead of her leading them to his office like he expected, she lead them down to the basement.

"We needed to talk...down here?" he asked.

"I read my mother's letter," she stated. "It only revealed the words in the sunlight."

"Wow, your mother was very paranoid," Eric put his hands in his pockets. "So where is it?"

"I burned it."

"You burned it," he said slowly in surprise. "Why?"

"Apparently, my grandmother hated vampires and she wanted a way to kill them all...at once," Eira explained. "She blessed me when my mother was still pregnant. That's why I have my birthmark of the sun. I have its power. I could burn all vampires or..."

"Or allow them all to walk in the sun," Eric finished as he thought of her blood and she nodded.

"But if I kill a vampire at all, my grandmother will sense it and she'll find me," Eira said. "She's apparently a really dangerous witch."

"She'll never find you because that will never happen," Eric assured her before he looked at her carefully; he thought about other vampires finding out like Bill. "You can never tell anyone about this especially not that Snookie girl."

"It's Sookie," she rolled her eyes. "And I won't. I only told you because you're my vampire."

He smirked, "Are you claiming me now?"

She looked at him with a blush, "Well, I'm yours so that means you're my vampire. I belong with you."

He hummed as he boxed her in with his arms next to her against the wall. He hovered his face closer to hers and her heart raced as his lips quirked, "Yes, you certainly do."

"Don't you hate me now?" she spoke nervously. "Apparently, I was literally born to kill you."

He chuckled as he uttered, "I trust you."

And he pressed his lips to hers. All her doubts and worries faded as she let him kiss her senseless. She ran her hands up his toned arms that caged her in and over his shoulders before running them through his hair. Then she moved her hands to his chest before she pushed against him slightly. She was getting dizzy and she needed to breathe.

He stopped kissing her and leaned his forehead against hers, waiting. She took deep breaths as she kept her hands against his chest. She could feel the lack of a heartbeat beneath her hands and she grew curious.

"Aren't you sad?" she asked after she failed to feel the sound of his heartbeat. "That your heart doesn't beat."

"Why would I be sad?" he looked amused.

"I don't know. Isn't death sad?"

"Do I look sad?"

"No. Just a bit colder," she noted and he grinned.

"Why would I need a heart when I quite like the sound of yours?" he said. "And you already promised it to me."

"It is yours," she smiled before she furrowed her eyebrows. "But you stare at it quite a lot...like it isn't."

Eric nearly choked at her words. It was not her heart he'd been staring at but her chest. He was hoping if he stared long enough it'd be bare for him at some point. He looked at her innocent, doe eyes and he couldn't bare to tell her what he really wanted.

"Sure, your heart," he agreed before he smirked. "I want your heartbeat until you decide to join death with me."

She smiled a bit uneasily, "Would you really want me forever?"

He tilted his head to the side as he studied her before he caressed her cheek, "I did not have a choice in turning Pam but, when you decide you're ready, I choose you to walk beside me in the dark."

"We wouldn't be in the dark, Eric. We would have the sun, too," she reminded him before she smiled. "But I'd walk beside you, yes. One day."

His lips quirked as he thought of her as a vampire, his progeny. He could only imagine how intense the bond between them would be like lifelines. She'd probably have little baby fangs and even as a vampire they'd be opposites like yin and yang. She'd be peace and he'd be chaos but no one would be able to deny she belonged beside him, his little eternal flame of ethereal beauty.

He kissed her then deeply in a kiss that lasted a long moment like a promise. One day. It took her breath away but that was always very easy for him to do. When he pulled away to let her breathe...again, he rested his forehead against hers with a small smirk and he spoke his words softly like a wish that made her heart beat faster.

"I'll be waiting."