chapter two

|TWO|
NATURE CALLS

Apparently, there was a murder in Bon Temps. Maudette Pickens had been killed and Jason Stackhouse had been arrested for it; although, they let him go shortly thereafter because of a lack of evidence.

Eira was working another night shift at Merlotte's as she thought about it. Jason isn't a killer. Don't know why they'd even arrest him in the first place.

"Thank you, Eira," Sookie sighed in relief. "You are like a breath of fresh air."

"Oh, you're welcome," Eira replied in surprise before heading to a table to wait on a couple that had just walked in.

She was in the middle of taking their order when they looked past her with wide eyes. She looked back to see what they were looking at to find a vampire had entered and Sookie was walking towards him like she was in a trance.

Eira saw that everyone else was staring at the two of them. She shook her head before she turned back to the couple to finish taking their order. There was nothing wrong with vampires.

Eira took their order and then moved on to a young man sitting at a booth alone. He had a messy head of brown curls and brown eyes. She smiled politely, "Hi, what can I get you?"

She looked down to fix the small apron she wore. She didn't notice that the man was staring at her in awe. But she did notice that he hadn't said anything.

She looked back up in concern to find him staring, "Uh, are you alright?"

He started to smile, "Could I order a date with you?"

Her eyes went wide as she swallowed, "Uh..."

"It's okay if you don't want to," his eyes started to turn sad.

"Well," she said nervously. "I don't know you."

He smirked as he stood up and offered his hand, "I'm Daren."

She smiled shyly as she shook his hand, "Eira."

"That has to be the most beautiful name I've ever heard, Eira," Daren smirked. "Now will you agree to go on a date with me?"

She swallowed harshly again as she thought about it. She'd never been asked on a date before; they all thought she was an albino and wanted nothing to do with her. But this boy in front of her was cute and she craved to know what a date would even be like.

She grabbed his hand again before she took her pen and wrote down her phone number. She gave him a small little smile, "I'll go on a date with you."

_____

            Later that night, when she got off work, she was getting into her car when she heard sounds of a struggle. She immediately ran towards the noise to find the Rattrays kicking Sookie over and over again, beating her to death.

             "Hey, leave Sookie alone!" she shouted as a dog showed up and started barking.

             "What are you gonna do about it, little girl?" Mack chuckled.