[21]

wc: 1.5k

-----

it was a really funny joke is all. corny as heck, but funny nonetheless. at least, that's why you laughed. but your smile faded when tanaka didn't return it, just hovering under you with that same look that made your heart beat out your fucking chest.

it had your almost frozen in place, trying to turn away even if you could still feel his soft eyes watching.

but no, you didn't want to consider that he meant it.

that deep down, there were some lingering feelings.

didn't want to consider that he meant the words that he said in the closet that day.

none of that.

it was all so fucking weird with him, calling you in a close friend one moment, and then kissing you right in front of your parents the next.

so for at least one weekend, you wasn't even gonna think about it. about him..

or, you'd try at least.

you had been invited to a party the exact day you had followed tanaka and his grumpy ass down the hallway.

amidst the chatter, a girl had slipped you an invitation on your desk and the promise of a fun time.

you kept it close to your lap, planning on asking tanaka to come with you as your plus one, but you realized you would have to do it sooner rather than later the moment you saw him get up and leave the classroom.

in your own excitement you hadn't figured out all the little details of course, like how you were gonna run this by your parents.

but just like everything else, you'd figure it out.

slowly but surely you felt their anger recede with each passing day, waiting for the moment they'd ultimately forget you were even on punishment.

somehow tanaka had unknowingly helped you out just a bit in that capacity.

your mom too excited to know that she was gonna have a son in law (no matter how many times you reminded her y'all were just highschoolers), to be mad at you, and your dad just happy to watch someone eat four servings of his cooking in one sitting.

even if it was technically a lie that you were dating, you'd give this relationship just a couple more weeks in their eyes so long as it kept them happy.

you'd continue to ride that high so long as it got you out of the house for a couple hours.

you popped the question at dinner a night or two ago, the two of them practically thinking nothing of it as they gave you the go ahead.

"and you said you'd meet up with..?"

"tanaka," you took another bite of your food, "it's just a small party at a friends house, i'll meet up with him and we'll head over together,"

"sounds fine to me," your father shrugged it off, your mom simply following his lead.

and just like that you were in the clear.

xx

the sky is a dark shade of blue as you get dressed in your room. you looked good, you think, picking out the nicest casual outfit in your closet you could find.

you looked over yourself in the mirror, feeling yourself for a moment before diving at your phone at the smallest hint of a buzz.

duo misses you, come practice with him!