Chapter Seven

"Let me see it." Miles says in a careful manner as he gently takes her hand in his before wiping the blood around the wrist. There's some hesitance in his movements and Juliet has a feeling as if her skin is erupting in tiny shocks. It's not a good sign that a simple touch like that makes her feel all those things, she realizes.

"You know what," Miles lifts his face as he gives her a stern look, "Maybe you should start spending less time in your head imagining different scenarios and the best possible comebacks from your side, and watch where you're going instead."

The slight scolding tone and condescending remark cause her to scowl at him.

"Maybe you should have just helped the architects who made this house with your exceptional mathematical skills and persuaded them not to leave such a weirdly shaped staircase on the way. Anyone can stumble there, it's not my fault."

He stops dabbing the cotton for a second and shoots her a look of disappointment, "Do you always have to have the last word? And stop snatching your hands away, Juliet. I can't concentrate."

"It stings."

"It's supposed to. From now on, be careful while going out and don't break your bones or have a concussion."

"You're so cruel!"

"Perhaps. And you're clumsy." He says, his eyes on her hand, then he places a non-stick pad on the scratch.

Juliet takes a proper look at her hand and fixes her glasses. As Miles begins to rearrange the items and put them in the box, her eyes follow his every movement. When his gaze meets hers, she stares at him and doesn't take her eyes off right away.

"Thanks..." Juliet mumbles, uncertainty in her face, causing Miles to give her a nod of acknowledgement.

"Just... stop hurting yourself like this." His voice comes out much softer than usual, catching her off guard a bit. His tone leans towards professional or sarcastic most of the time, but never vulnerable. To her, it seems like as time passes by, she's discovering more of him beyond the external rigidity and toughness he always shows.

"I think I have bad motor skills. But I will try."

Saying goodbye, minutes later when she's about to head out of the door, he calls her from behind. Juliet turns to see him awkwardly standing there, hands shoved into his pants' pockets as he seems to want to say something.

"Yeah?"

"Can I-" he pauses, avoiding looking in her eyes. "Can I walk you home?"

Her forehead creases slightly, lips curling in the corner. She finds herself wondering what might be going on in his head now. Checking for her reaction, he looks sort of nervous just as Juliet gives him an amused smile.

"But it's not raining today." She points her index finger at the opened window, teasing in her voice.

Miles looks unprepared as he tries to come up with something. He puts his left hand around his neck, rubbing it once while he says,