Chapter Ten

Her eyes wander around the wooden furnishings and the rustic style of decorations in amazement. The walls are navy blue and there's a cottage window next to the bed. A plank shelf is hanging right above the headboard with vines drooping down from it.

"Can I borrow your room?" Juliet swirls on her feet, a cheeky smile accentuating her face. "I'll give you mine."

A laugh so beautiful leaves his mouth, mesmerizing her further. Miles leans against the door frame, seeming to be in a lively mood.

"If I like yours, I will give you mine forever. No temporary fix."

Her smile remains intact as she trudges toward the window, looking out at whatever there is to see. It's just the backyard of the house and a brief portion of the road can be seen too.

"Let me see what kind of books you read." Juliet says enthusiastically, rushing toward the bookshelf on the other side of the room as she sits on her knees in front of it.

Along the racks reside volumes of math worksheets, theoretical discourses and complex scientific books. A hint of disappointment fills her upon finding no trace of fiction or legends there.

"There's not a single love story I can see here. Why do guys not like romance?" Her lips turn into a slight pout when Miles sits down on the floor right by her side.

"Why do girls love romance?" He throws her question back, permitting a hint of a smile to cross his face.

"I can only tell you about myself." She mumbles, somewhat distracted. As she makes herself comfortable and spreads one of her legs forward, her lips twitch into a dreamy smile.

"I love romance because it's beautiful. Love is a magical feeling and amidst all the agony and sufferings that are permanent in our everyday life, love is probably the purest thing one can ever encounter. When everything pushes you down, love gives you hope. It lifts you up." Her gaze finds him deeply staring at her. "And since I've never experienced romance myself, my fascination with it only runs faster every time I read a sweet love story." She chuckles.

He keeps silent, a faint smile still lingering on his lips.

"You are very romantic, I see."

Juliet laughs at his strange remark, captivated by the gleam in his eyes.

"Should I be concerned about that? I don't know. But you know Miles, if loving love is a sin, yes, I'm guilty."

They share a quiet lingering look before Juliet tears her gaze away.

The stillness hangs heavy in the atmosphere and neither of them utters a word. There was this awkward silence between them the first time they met. And there is silence today but in the last few days, something has changed. The unease has morphed into solace. It's like a slow, gradual process, almost unfelt and non-existent until suddenly one day someone finds out life hasn't been the same ever since.