Chapter Thirty Five

"Juliet?"

"Hmm?"

"Juliet!" He calls out to her, louder this time, with a jolt of his body that makes the couch shake and her phone slip from her hands. She glares at him.

"Miles! Why are you being like that?"

"You have been stuck on that phone for an hour, and I'm getting bored out here, but you won't even look at me." Miles complains, scowling. "But you said you would let me paint your nails."

"I will after I finish writing my poem," Juliet says, just as her eyes fall on a light orange-colored teddy bear Ariel left on the couch a while ago, and her lips curve into a playful smile. "I'm going to write again. Until I finish, play with this." She hands the toy to him, making him glance at it, baffled. He blinks.

"What the-- am I three years old, for God's sake?" He blurts out as she tries to hold back her laughter.

"Exactly. You are not. Then stop acting like a petulant child and let me write." She takes the phone from the couch, the smile lingering on her face, and Miles lets out a frustrated groan.

"What are you writing?"

"A poem about the charmingly mysterious man I fell in love with, whom I saw on a train when I was visiting the English countryside."

"What...?" He delivers a look of confusion. "Which man? I thought I was the only one you ever loved. That's what you said." His voice turns soft, mirroring his uncertain and troubled expression. Realizing he's really taken her words to heart, she lets out a timid laugh.

"Did you think I was being serious?" She says gently, "I was just making up scenarios in my head for my poem. I never even went to England. I'm just a little delusional, you know."

His usual demeanor returns as Miles sighs in relief before scowling at her, "Why are you so silly?"

"Like you are any less. I told you some imaginary story, and you got a stroke as if I just said we're divorcing." She mockingly rolls her eyes. His lips twitch slightly in amusement.

"Nah, don't divorce me." He mumbles, hugging her by the waist. "I love you."

"You only love me because I make good jokes and the best food in the world." She says, raising her eyebrows cockily, and it elicits a chuckle from him.

"Can't deny it now, can I?"

A while later, she watches as he brings a light peach-colored nail polish from his dresser, looking excited as ever. He lies on his chest, balancing his weight on his elbows, and she places her hands on the mattress.

"You have baby nails. It's cute." Miles says appreciatively, uncapping the lid, and she chuckles in response.

"I write a lot, so long nails are kind of irritating, you know. Maddie has the finest long nails; she gets her manicure done regularly. Once she took me along with her to get my nails done, even though I didn't want to. Well, I broke a nail the same day." A laugh leaves her mouth, "She acted as if I broke her heart instead."