Chapter Thirty Four

"Don't you think you should keep some of that for me?" Juliet says, her gaze going back and forth between the Swiss roll in Maddie's hands and her face. "I told Ayra that I love Egyptian things. It was sweet of her to bring some snacks for me. I just had one or two, I guess."

"She sounds nice. I want to be her friend too," Maddie replies, completely ignoring Juliet's previous remark. Just as she's about to reach for another packet that she's brought with her, Juliet throws a snowball at her face.

"If you don't grab that shovel and come here in three seconds, I'm going to call Auntie. She asked us all to clean the backyard, and you and Bridget have hoaxed me," she complains, picking up the shovel and resuming her task, the snow crunching under her shoes. "One is playing chess, and you are stealing my food. I must remind you fools that these violent delights will have violent ends."

Maddie laughs at her Renaissance-inspired threat before grasping the shovel from the ice-frozen ground. The continuous snowfall has turned the green lawn into a pristine white canvas, buried under a thick blanket of snow. The two sugar maple trees right across the porch have lost their leaves, their branches draped with a heavy layer of snow, while the white pines have snow scattered over the leaves, adding to the enchanting backdrop.

"Where is Tristan?" Juliet inquires.

"In the living room, probably."

"At least he came today. He's been acting a little weird for a while." The words leave her mouth as he comes into view, making his way out of the door. He casts a glance at Miles and Bridget, who are absorbed in playing chess on the porch, and then starts walking towards where the two girls are working. The chilly air cuts through his nostrils as the snowflakes fall on his hair.

"Auntie wanted me to tell you that," he looks at Maddie, "if you and Bridget don't help Julie, you two are going to be grounded. And no beef chili for you either," he adds with a laugh. "We will eat, and you all will watch."

"You are going to be honored with a shovel slap," Maddie grumbles. "I'm doing my job perfectly."

"After I threatened you in Shakespeare," Juliet retorts. "You see, it's so heavy to carry the weight of being the most responsible person. I promised auntie that I'd clean the backyard and I'm doing so. A woman of words," she sighs dramatically.

"Do you need help?" Tristan asks.

"It'd be great. Bridget isn't listening to us. No problem, we will do it all ourselves and blackmail her about it later," Maddie replies, smiling mischievously.

"Sounds great," Tristan says as he grabs the extra shovel and approaches next to her. Juliet notices Miles staring at them from where he's sitting. His eyes stay on Tristan for a moment before darting towards Juliet, and his features soften instantly. He cracks a little smile, which she returns before a thought enters her mind.