Chapter One

I gaze at my splotchy reflection in the mirror

I gaze at my splotchy reflection in the mirror. I'd gotten IPL laser treatments three months ago and it had done wonders for my skin. I'd followed up by also changing my hair from the sun-kissed highlights I'd always worn to a light brown and let it grow out to the pre-kids length that I used to wear my hair, when I actually had time to style it.

I'd never "let myself go" after kids in the way some people are comfortable with years into marriage and multiple kids later. The extra twenty pounds I'd finally shed that I'd struggled to lose after Weston hadn't looked terrible on me. The hair falling out was another story. Thankfully, with my youngest being two years old now it had grown back in.

Through it all though, the kids, the busy schedules, the body changes, Logan and I had maintained our status quo in the bed and out of it. He had been my best friend, my confidant, my lover. I had been completely blindsided by his infidelity. And now I've been completely blindsided again. A betrayal I know I'll never get past.

The tears stream down my face and I let them fall as I take in my bloodshot hazel eyes. I hate that I'm crying again. I've cried so much over the last five months.

When will it end? And how does this all still hurt SO bad?

My heart feels like a recently stitched up wound that's just been pried back open by jagged fingernails. Leading me to believe that my pondering for an end to the pain is as futile as trying to save my marriage turned out to be.

Whatever Clarissa's intentions were by showing up at my house, the resulting conversation between the three of us had me free-falling back into a dark place of loneliness and heartache. A place of wondering how and why I wasn't enough, hadn't been enough, for my husband not to make the decisions he'd made.

"Elora!" Logan calls loudly through the door over toddler cries.

I snap back to reality. I don't know how long I've stood at the vanity, but clearly, Weston has woken up from his nap. Turning on the tap, I splash cold water on my face before drying it with a hand towel. Then I take a deep breath and open the door.

"It's okay baby, mommy's here. I'm so sorry." I step forward to take Weston from Logan and move past him, out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"Elora," Logan calls after me.

How many fucking times is he going to say my name like that today?

Ignoring him, I glide through the kitchen to the playroom where I put Weston down and sit beside him on the Nugget couch. He stands there for a second before wandering off to find Lightning McQueen just as Logan appears in the open space between the play area and Kitchen.

"I need you to go, so I can get things done. Namely, call my lawyer." Pausing before I finally add, "It's over, Logan."

"I know." Tears bloom in his eyes at his own words. "I'm so sorry Elora. I'll do whatever you want, you and the kids will be taken care of."