Chapter Seven

The hotel we're staying at intersects three neighborhoods of Manhattan

The hotel we're staying at intersects three neighborhoods of Manhattan. The Ralston Hotel sits just inside the Flat Iron district, bordering Kips Bay and Gramercy Park. When I arrive, Gale and Milly are waiting for me in the exquisite lobby. As soon as I appear through the doors they are moving towards me, gathering me in a crushing hug.

"What the actual fuck? You scared the shit out of us." Milly exclaims and I quietly stand there as she rips me a new one for making them wait so long before letting them know I was okay. It's a bit over the top, but that's just Milly and honestly, I'm just grateful to be alive to hear her complain.

Once in the back of the cab, I pulled out my phone to see fifty-three messages on the ChatsApp thread and twelve new pages worth of discussion on The Coffee Club subthread of BookSocial, including articles, panic, and what was happening as they found out. All of my friends had essentially been running through the play-by-play I was living as it happened. Finally, I gave them an update and let them know I was okay and on my way to the hotel.

Tabitha and Cici had given up and returned home when the flight they were trying to get on, and the one after it had been canceled. So they now plan to fly out in the morning on their original flight. Jana is still in the air, her flight had been delayed by hours due to the arriving flight's repeated delays. Originally, we were supposed to travel together from the airport and I briefly felt guilty for forgetting, but since she still won't be landing for a while I try to allow myself some grace. I don't think I could have sat there and waited anyway.

"I know. I'm sorry." I say before rambling on, "Really, I just, there was so much going on. And I've been in a weird place all day mentally and emotionally."

Anxiety has fried my nerves to a crisp, but my eyes are dry. I definitely think I'm all cried out for the day.

"Stop," Gale says, pulling back and looking at me. "You don't have to explain. We know, really, we do. It's just been a scary couple of hours."

Gale, Milly, and Jana knew Logan and I were signing the divorce papers this morning before I left. They were expecting me to be a wreck when I got here, they just weren't expecting me to be a physically battered, shell-shocked wreck on top of the emotional puddle they were prepared for. Neither was I.

My neck aches from being tossed around like a rag doll and a dull pounding has started in my temple from the stress of the day. I'd been given a sheet of signs and symptoms for serious head and neck injuries to keep an eye out for after the EMT had checked me on the tarmac. If any of the signs appear I'm to go to the hospital immediately, but besides my arm feeling like it's been squeezed in an unforgiving vice and a little whiplash, I feel okay.

We all step back and Milly chimes in, "Let's get you checked in. I feel like you might need a drink."

"A stiff one to match my neck." I joke.

"Not funny," Gale gasps as we make our way to the check-in counter.

Milly just shakes her head and rolls her eyes at me, to which I smile.