Chapter Five

I've heard people talk about that moment when they've had something happen to them and they saw their whole life flash before their eyes, but I'd never quite experienced it before

Until now.

As I'm frozen in a suspended jump on a plane in the sky, my life most definitely flashes before my eyes. The happy moments, the sad moments, even some smaller nonsensical moments, but oddly the fear I feel coursing through me isn't for me. It's for my kids. And I think if I survive this, that will be what I remember most about this moment.

It's only seconds, but it feels like minutes before my feet hit the ground again and my knees give out beneath me causing me to crumple in a heap onto the floor. Adrenaline courses through my body as I shoot back to my feet in alarm. I've just registered how far into the hallway I'd moved from my initial step when I'm immediately thrown into the door of the bathroom. It bends in the middle, pinching me and then releasing me as we tip the other direction and I slam into the opposite wall. I gasp as screams erupt throughout the cabin. Behind me stuff clatters in the galley and I hear flight attendants curse.

The fasten seat belt sign pings at the same time the pilot says, "Flight attendants, please be seated."

As the plane settles, my eyes rise to find a piercing gaze staring at me in absolute shock. I sprint towards my row as a crew member comes on the intercom telling all passengers to take their seats immediately. The calmness in her voice is betrayed by a sudden yelp when the plane tilts in the middle of her message.

I've just reached my row when another round of intense turbulence hits. In an instinctual reaction like before, two hands grab my waist and my seatmate pulls me to him right as the plane drops again. I slam sideways into his lap at the bottom of the drop and a grunt escapes him as he wraps his arms around me, clutching me to him.

My legs tangle in the armrest as I twist towards him so we sit chest to chest, grasping the seat at his back on either side of his head to hang on for dear life. Seconds turn into minutes as everyone clings to whatever they can and the plane climbs. There's the banging of luggage compartments opening, accompanied by screams and thuds as personal items fall from above. Dread fills my chest as I stare wide-eyed over the seat at the couple behind us. The woman is crying hysterically while the man prays out loud. Finally, the plane calms and the screeches die down.

No one moves as the captain comes on the intercom to make an announcement. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking, we sincerely apologize for the severe turbulence. Some light to moderate disturbances had been reported from previous planes in the area, but the turbulence we encountered was very unexpected and we're not sure if we're through the worst of it so we're going to ask you to remain seated for the time being. When we feel it's safe, we'll have the crew make their way through the cabin to do an assessment and confirm everyone is okay."

In the silence that follows, I continue to cling to the seat and take stock of myself to make sure I don't have any injuries. That's when I become very aware of the warm breath on my neck. I slowly pry my cramped hands off the back of the seat and lean back, the arms around my waist loosen in response. My temple grazes the man's stubble as I right myself, my hands sliding down to stop on his chest as I push myself up. We sit quietly for a moment, our eyes meeting before I look down to where his heart thunders under my palms.