Chapter Four

"Excuse me, Ms

"Excuse me, Ms.?" A knock reverberating through the metal door in front of me makes me flinch and I lift my head off it. "Um, are you okay in there?"

I swipe a hand across my tear-stained cheeks. After leaving the coffee shop, I'd headed straight for the adjacent bathroom where the dam of tears had finally burst once I was safely tucked into a bathroom stall.

And I'd clearly cried long enough to concern someone.

"Hello?"

"I'm fine." I sniffle, "Thank you."

I start to turn towards the toilet paper holder when they continue.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. Just," I pause and hold in a sob, looking up at the ceiling. "Having a bad day."

What a fucking understatement.

"Um, okay, then," The voice says before I see a shadow on the floor move away from the door.

I sigh and blow my nose before using the bathroom. I'm grateful when the room is clear as I exit the stall and make my way to the sink, applying makeup remover and utilizing cleansing towelettes to clean off my face. Reapplying a little moisturizer, I forego makeup this time. Once I've put on some chapstick and gathered my hair in a high ponytail, I make my way to my gate sipping my now lukewarm coffee.

"Elora Hutchins, can you please come to the counter at gate twenty-eight?" A voice announces on the intercom. "Elora Hutchins, can you please come to the counter at gate twenty-eight."

I redirect from joining the line of travelers starting to board our plane and head for the counter.

"Hi. I'm Elora, is everything okay?" I ask as I walk up.

I instantly wonder if sobbing in a bathroom stall qualifies me as a flight risk from their point of view. Did the person from the bathroom make a complaint? Could I get kicked off a flight for crying because my personal life has imploded? I'm about to tell the attendant I'm emotionally wounded, but I'm mentally sound of mind when she finally looks up from typing at her computer.

"Hi, yes, Mrs., everything is fine." She smiles, "You got a free upgrade today."

She slides a ticket across the counter, "Can I see your other ticket please?"

I hand her my previous ticket and retrieve the one off the counter, staring at it.

"First class." I muse.

She smiles, "Yes ma'am, enjoy your flight."

I hold the ticket up a moment longer. I knew we had a lot of points so upgrades weren't uncommon when one of us traveled alone. It had just been a long time since I'd been the recipient of one of these upgrades because they rarely happened when we flew as a family.