Chapter Eight

An hour and a half later we're all taking in the sweeping views of New York City from our table next to floor to ceiling glass windows when our chatter is interrupted

"Good evening, ladies."

We turn en masse towards the immaculately dressed man standing at the end of our table.

"Welcome to Enchante, My name is George and I will be your server this evening."

We all say hi in unison, goofy smiles spreading across our faces. It's a moment that makes our girls trip feel as if it's officially begun.

"Can I start you with a drink this evening?" He smiles back.

"Yes, please!" Kelly says with a laugh.

She'd had a rough flight too, thankfully not as rough as mine, but when she met up with the rest of us in the hotel bar, she chugged Milly's Martini like a parched animal that had been lost in the desert for a week.

As George makes his way around the table for our drink orders, I finally get rid of my trench coat. Slipping my arms out of its holes and laying it open over the back of my rounded chair, I self-consciously rub my hand down my arm which is now turning a lovely shade of purple.

After I've given my drink order, Rachel turns to relay hers and her gaze is immediately drawn to my arm. "Oh, Elora. That looks so painful!"

I wince, "It looks a lot worse than it feels, thankfully."

Although I'm sure the prescription strength ibuprofen Milly gave me is also helping. My neck is noticeably less tight too. At least for now.

Once our drinks are taken and water is handed out, everyone turns back to the table.

"So Elora, how is Logan? How are the kids?" Kelly asks.

Freezing with my glass of water halfway to my mouth, I realize this is it. This is my moment of truth or at least one of them seeing as half the group isn't here yet.

"The kids are good," I say cautiously.

Rachel looks at me oddly. "Is everything okay with Logan?"

"Um." I blink and set the glass down. "Actually. I have some news."

I take a deep breath and turn to look at Rachel and Kelly, the only two at the table who don't know yet.

"Logan and I are getting a divorce," I state in a whoosh of air.

"Oh my god," Rachel says, her hand going to her mouth.

"WHAT!" Kelly exclaims.

"We've been separated for a couple of months," I add. "We signed the paperwork today."

Kelly raises her hands as George passes, "Can you maybe hurry those drinks along?"

"I'm okay," I lie smoothly. "Look, we tried. We tried really hard to fix what was broken, but in the end, there was just no going back."