Wattpad Original
There are 20 more free parts

Chapter 4

Cameron

It only takes two days before she contacts me.

I just finished practice, and I'm exiting the locker room freshly showered when my phone starts to ring. When I pull it out of my pocket, it's an unknown number. Normally, I wouldn't even answer it, but deep down, I know it's my psychotic fucking ex, and I'm ready to end this game she insists on playing.

My teammates are still filing out behind me, so I dip into a random hallway and hide in an alcove, clutching my duffle bag in one hand and my phone in the other. "Hello?"

Her snarky giggle fills the line before I hear her voice. Instantly, all the hairs rise on my arm in pure loathing. "Hello, Cameron," she purrs. "Long time no talk."

I swear I'll break my phone from how tightly I'm gripping it. "What the fuck do you want, Katie?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she replies innocently. "Can I not call up an old friend to check in on how they're doing?"

I scoff. "On an unknown number? Yeah, okay. Sure."

"Did you or did you not block my current phone number? Last I checked, I couldn't get through, so I had to resort to this."

Well, shit. I did block her number after she roped me into our fake engagement to spike her social media platform. When being "engaged" to me didn't produce the results she wanted, she ended things shortly after, and those videos of leverage she had on Maddie and me were deleted. Or so I thought.

"I don't really give a shit how you're calling me. Just tell me why the fuck you emailed the video to my manager. What do you want?"

"Again, I have no idea what you're talking about."

Yeah, right. She's such a conniving little bitch. She probably knows this phone call could be traced back if I went to the police. No way in hell will she confess to me over the phone if she did send the email. For now, I have to play her game.

"Why are you calling, then?"

Her laugh sends a rush of anger and regret through my veins. I've let this woman control so much of my life. I let her take away years from Maddie and I's relationship. If it weren't for Katie having a video that could quite literally ruin Maddie's career, we never would have been apart, and I would never have missed out on the first year and a half of Izzy's life. I blame Katie for everything.

"Well, I was notified by my manager that there's a photoshoot opportunity for the cover of the world's largest sports magazine. Now, I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with me recently, but—"

"Trust me, I haven't." While I want that to be true, it's been hard to avoid seeing what she's been up to since she's plastered on every social media site at the moment. I can't escape her. She made some popular workout videos that were apparently driving crazy weight loss results, and in return, she signed deals with all the major health and fitness companies.

Still, telling her I haven't gone out of my way to keep up with her is the truth, and the sneer she sends through the phone has me smirking. "Anyways, what better way to drive the best results than to have us both on the cover? The sexiest man and woman in sports and fitness?"

The laugh that escapes me is way too loud. It echoes off the large, empty hallway. "No way in hell. Forget about it."

"Really?" She pauses as if I'll change my mind. "Well, if you're certain, but I'd hate for this to be a missed opportunity for you. If you pass this up, this might just be the start of a downfall to your career."