Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Chapter 12

Maddie

With the start date for my job rapidly approaching, Cameron and I agreed to hire a nanny.

At first, the thought was troubling. Sure, she attended daycare while I was studying in Germany, but there, she had multiple teachers guiding her in day-to-day learning. Now it will be dependent upon one person, and what if Izzy grows to like this person more than me? I won't be able to bear it.

We don't have another choice, though. It's not like Izzy could attend daycare here. The minute paparazzi followed us there, they'd be camped outside of it day and night for a photo opportunity. I would never subject my daughter to that sort of attention, so a nanny just seems like the best fit.

Seated next to Cameron in an office he rented out downtown, we're both exhausted from the countless interviews we've held. No matter who walked in, they didn't seem right. Some had the right qualifications but didn't have the personality to match, and vice versa. We've been stuck in an endless loop of people who just aren't the right fit.

Izzy fell asleep in Cameron's lap about a half hour ago, and with the time ticking away, the anxiety sits like a heavy weight in my stomach. What if we don't find someone? Cameron has an away game this weekend, and I start my job on Monday. Today is the last day we have to figure this out.

"It'll be fine," Cam reassures, using his free hand to give mine a squeeze. "Her nanny is out there. I just know it."

Before I can reply, Moira, Cameron's assistant, pokes her head in. "Are you ready for the next interview?"

"Yes," we both say in unison.

Moira opens the door wider to let in a young woman who seems to be around the same age as us. Her brown hair is slicked back into a neat bun, and her smile is dazzling as she crosses over to us, reaching out a hand to shake. "I'm Nina," she says cheerfully. "It's a pleasure to meet you both. The Duncans have told me so much about you already."

"Ah, you're Ryan's former nanny, right? He said he'd reach out to you." He turns to give me an explanation. "I told the team we were looking for a nanny. Nina used to work for Ryan and his wife before she went off to school, and he couldn't say enough good things about her."

The woman smiles tentatively, crossing her slender legs and keeping her hands folded in her lap. She's got striking green eyes almost as bright as Cameron's. They take my breath away.

"And you decided to come back to being a nanny?" I ask.

"Yes. Well, I recently graduated and found out the hard way just how expensive student loans can be. I could really use the extra income."

"And you're aware this will be a live-in position once we're settled somewhere?" Once we get our house, of course. Although Nina is only in her mid-twenties. Does she really want to be a full-time nanny? Then again, she did this before for the Duncans, so she has experience. It's a definite perk that she's worked with a famous family before, too. Obviously, she's discreet and can keep her mouth shut from the press.

"That works even better, honestly. Rent in Los Angeles can be..."

I laugh. "Trust me, I get it." Glancing down at her resume, which we already have a copy of, I scan it over, searching for any red flags that stand out, but the woman has all the necessary training and qualifications we're looking for. Experience, CPR certified, content with a live-in position...

She might be the first candidate worth hiring.

"How young were Ryan's kids when you worked for them previously?" Cameron asks.