Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 13

Maddie

As expected, none of the other candidates came close to Nina.

So, Cameron called to let her know she could come over for the trial run. He had to leave for his away game, and, despite me telling him we would be fine, I was nervous. So nervous. What if Nina doesn't like us? Or what if she changed her mind in the past two days and decided not to come today? The thought makes bile rise into my throat all too quickly. My job starts on Monday. If this doesn't work out, I'm not sure what we'll do. Maybe we can fly Ethan out? Izzy hasn't seen her uncle in a while...

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I'm scrubbing aggressively at the marble countertop of the island to clean a stain that more than likely isn't there. I can't help it. As soon as I knew she agreed to come over for the trial, I've been in a cleaning frenzy ever since. I didn't want her to think we were slobs or that she'd be signing up for more than she wanted to take on, so I dusted, mopped, and vacuumed my way through Cameron's luxurious home.

Or...our home?

We still haven't gone shopping for a permanent place, but we need to get a move on. Nina agreed to be a live-in nanny, and she can't do that here. There aren't enough bedrooms. Plus, didn't she say she was struggling with rent after graduating college? She's going to need a place to stay soon. If we don't buy a home fast enough, she might quit, and if that happens...

Heaving a sigh, I drop the sponge into the sink and grip the counters to try and steady myself. Izzy is at the table eating a banana and yogurt, happy as can be, and for a moment, the sight of her smile has all my anxiety filtering away.

No matter what happens, I just want the best for my little girl, and if this trial run doesn't go how I want it to, we'll find someone else.

Knocks on the door interrupt my thoughts, but having that final determination in mind, I'm much more relaxed as I walk to the door to let Nina inside. She has a tentative, shy smile on her face, holding a brown tote close to her side. Her hair is out of the bun today, flowing in long waves down her back, and she's dressed perfectly for the occasion: white sneakers, a pair of capris, and a striped tee.

"Hi, Nina," I say with the brightest smile I'm capable of making. "How are you? It's good to see you. Come in." I open the door wider, allowing her to pass by, and she pauses in the entryway, her eyes growing wide.

"Oh, wow," she breathes, her eyes focusing on the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking downtown. "This is..."

"Overwhelming?" I guess.

She nods, speechless.

"Trust me, I get it. When I first saw this place, I felt the same." I had woken up in the middle of the night to rain pouring down outside, the twinkling lights of the city being a dream come true. Then Cameron had taken me right against that middle window, and—

Okay, this so isn't the time to be thinking about sex.

"You aren't used to places like this?" Her cheeks turn red, almost like she didn't mean to say that. "I mean, not that I'm insinuating anything, I just..."

"Nina, it's okay. You're welcome to speak your mind freely. I'd prefer it. Communication is going to be key in order for this to work."

Relief flickers across her face, and I begin to wonder if Ryan's wife treated her differently or held her to other standards. "A lot of wives of famous football players stemmed from money themselves, you know? They're used to all of..." She waves her hands around the townhouse. "From experience, money can taint a lot of people. Cloud their judgment and sense of reality."