Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 17

Cameron

Typically, home games are harder for me to play than away games. I know that sounds backward, but at home games, there's always more pressure. Playing in our home stadium means our fans came to this game to see us win. And while that might be the same when they're watching the away games on a television screen, I don't physically see their disappointment.

If we lose during home games, I have to watch the fans leave the stadium with sour expressions, and some children are broken-hearted, crying as they leave the stands with their parents. Whenever I walk out on the field, I carry the hope of thousands of people who want to see their team win the championship. I can't let them down.

Thankfully, today isn't one of those days.

We had a three-touchdown advantage on a team that beat us in the playoffs last year, and I'm buzzing with energy during all my post-game interviews, itching to find my way to wherever Maddie and Izzy are. It's their first home game of mine, so I told them to wait for me in the box suite. Knowing Izzy, she's already passed out for the night since it was a late game.

I jog underneath the stadium lights to head for the locker rooms, but as soon as I round the corner, the devil itself is leaning against the door.

"How did you even get clearance to come down here?" I ask through gritted teeth.

Katie analyzes her manicured nails, a tilted smile on her cosmetically-enhanced lips. "You know more than anyone how persuasive I can be."

I hadn't seen her the entirety of the game, so I thought she had changed her mind about coming tonight. A part of me should have known not to be relieved.

"What do you want now?"

"I can't tell you how well you did tonight? You were a very hot discussion in the stands amongst the women, and for good reason." She waves up and down my uniform to emphasize whatever point she's trying to make.

Ryan, one of my teammates, exits the locker room with his duffle bag, arching a brow as his gaze roams over us. The entire team knows I'm married, but with Katie wearing a pair of tight-ass leggings and a crop top leaving little to the imagination, I can only imagine what it looks like. "You good?" he asks.

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

He lingers for a few more seconds, eyes darting between us until he finally relents and heads down the hallway. I can't tell him anything with Katie standing right here, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ryan finds a way to tell Maddie what he saw. My teammates tend to like her more than me, and I wouldn't expect anything less. I almost hope he does tell Maddie. She knew Katie wanted to meet with me tonight, and if Maddie found out she was down here?

I almost laugh at the thought, almost, but Katie takes a step closer, distracting me. "Our magazine cover is flying off the shelves. We're all anyone can talk about. There are...rumors circulating. Have you heard them?"

"I don't pay attention to what other people say. I know what's true and what isn't."

Smiling softly, she places her hand on my chest. I jerk away from the contact, taking a large step back to put space between us. "They're saying our chemistry is undeniable. That maybe, just maybe, we're having an affair."

Now that makes me laugh. "They're obviously delusional."

She arches a brow. "Wouldn't that be something? I find it ironic, honestly."

"Nothing's ironic because I never cheated on you with her," I snarl.

"You didn't? Dropping me like I was nothing and going right back to her wasn't cheating? Call it what you want, but you obviously lied to me about your feelings for her."