ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

Giving What The Audience Wants

"I see you are craving for my attention, Y/n." The one and only Haitani says in that usual arrogant tone he's got as he enters the room. "You anticipate this so much only to realize it is me who will be paired with you for this avant-garde film."

My hand hidden behind my back grips my shirt firmly. I compose myself in front of this guy, asking with a light tone, "What are you playing at, Haitani?"

"I'd appreciate it more if you start calling me by my first name, or have you forgotten it already and are embarrassed to point it out?" He continues the banter that takes away the etiquette inside the room. The atmosphere quickly shifts to awkwardness and discomfort.

Before I can refute his absurd assumptions, my manager steps in the unprofessional conversation between us and says as she clears her throat aloud, "Y/n, this is Haitani Rindou, the leading man of this project who is, as he mentioned, your partner though I'm quite sure you know him very well."

"So... This is the 'surprisingly good news'? How is this good for me?"

Mari emphasizes on one point she has on her mind, "Well, we can work things out-no-you can work things out between him."

It's bright as the day to me that she is the mastermind behind all this. I just can't tell how this project film will be able to help me when I'm clearly in a toxic environment; And yes, by toxic environment, I mean him obviously. What does she see that I can't..? She is always hard to predict.

I say back to my manager in a polite manner, not forgetting I'm with a ton of other people in the meeting room, "Mari, I think this film will take a lot of time and effort seeing how our relationship isn't at its best shape currently. Maybe the production team can find someone else more compatible with me?"

The head of the production team chimes in, "Mr. Rindou clearly fits the profile of the leading man, Ms. Y/n. I can't picture anybody else playing this character other than him. The visual, the attitude, everything about him is perfect for this film alongside you."

"You're lucky to have someone who can see the potential of others." Rindou intrudes by chuckling to himself. I click my tongue upon hearing his stupid and unwanted opinion and what's more, this head of the production team is definitely reaching her limits with my bitching behavior.

"Ms. Y/n, I'm sorry if this may sound absolutely rude but at a time like this, we cannot be picky about who we want and don't want. Let us keep in mind who is budgeting this whole project. It is none other than the head of the company. So please reconsider."

Rindou scoffs to break the silence, "Let us also not forget the money you will receive, Y/n, if you accept this offer. It is a job nonetheless and, you know what, I heard recently from your manager that you need to earn cash bigtime."

Everyone is definitely against me.

I have no other option to take a breather for a bit and agree to this project. As idiotic as he sounds, he is good at convincing people with that charm he has on his face. It makes me want to rip it apart because of how good it is working right now.

I force a smile and hesitate for a little while to say, "Okay, let's move forward with this fresh project the company assigns me in along with Mr. Haitani." Of course, everyone in the production team is thrilled upon hearing my statement.

I must agree with one thing: This experiment will help me a lot. Let me become versatile in the acting industry. I knew there would be a time that I wouldn't always star in films that I want. That's life in its truest form. You can't always get what you want.