Chapter 16-I'ma Take It To The Ceiling

I held my breath and stilled as the light became a smaller and brighter dot on the vent surface until it suddenly a click turned the vent dark again.

I slowly moved my left leg so it was tucked underneath my weight and my right leg leaning away from my body so I could soundlessly kick and knock out whoever was on the other side of the receiving move.

The vent creaked in the empty silence, and I focused on the noise, determined not to let the silence get to me. In a flash of a second, I kicked with all my strength, lifting myself up with my palms flat on the vent bottom. The black blur caught my foot that itched to near his face and my eyes wandered to his boots that held a proud 553 logo outline.

I sighed audibly, yanking my foot back from his grip and placing my head back on the end of the vent, determined to make out the conversation in the room below. "What are you doing here, Clifton?"

He crawled over to me, pulling himself over my x-ray paper before getting pushed back so I could see it clearly. He huffed loudly which resulted in me showing him a death glare that shut him up, his mouth open but the air long gone. When he finally regained his ability to speak, he finally clamped it shut and hissed, "Respect Ryder. If you had any, it would get you far in life."

I spared him an unresponsive glance. "You act like I was supposed to be born with it. You don't need respect to survive in a world like this." I pushed his voice out of my thoughts as he went on whispering harshly and focused on the voices below.

"-know about Dale, we can use him," A voice said, the deep tone added in confirming his male gender.

"We can use the, uh, Italian one then," A high-pitched voice suggested hesitantly.

So this must have been the something Aiden needed to take care of. I wasn't even surprised that a 'prisoner' had disappeared on his watch. He did this way too often.

There was a pause and then, "Well done Alina. You are truly my perfect daughter," A gruff voice praised. Tyrone. "Get them on it then. I want the twins close to her and the lone on the Director's trail. Set the other on West then."

"Ryder, we're both here for the same reason." I narrowed my eyes. I was most likely sure he wasn't sanctioned for this mission. He rolled his eyes. "To take down TrianOut. I followed my lead, you followed yours. I'll do what you ask."

I watched him crawl back from where he came from,

"If I may- may I suggest something?" A heavy female Dutch accent asked hesitantly, clearing her throat halfway. Looking over to the x-ray, I took note of the one waving her hand around, making her the Dutch.

"Helena Huisman. Lien Boon. Aline Smits. Claire Janssen. Marien van der Meer. Wow that's quite a mouthful." Aiden chuckled. "Three males. Nick Visser. Jasper Blank and Felix Chugainov. They're all Dutch, except for that last one, though he's the most frequent. The last one's-"

I recalled the file pictures of each Dutch female and took note of the ponytail swishing from left to right as she paced, remembering that only Marien and Claire had hair long enough for high ponytails. I easily ruled Claire out once I saw the precise straightened hair falling over her shoulders till the end of the ponytail.

I lifted my eyes up to Clifton just as Tyrone gestured for Marien to go on underneath me. "Clifton. Do me a favour and be useful for once, okay? Find me information on Marien van der Meer. Without calling HQ. Great." He opened his mouth to presumably comment on something when I cut him off with, "No. I don't care what you're doing here. But call HQ and I'll cut your head off faster then the Director can promote you. Understood? Good."

When you earn a reputation as one of the most feared agent's partner, you climb into the most feared territory fairly quickly. Partners are based on matches. To be Aiden's partner... well, it required a lot of skill. And to match someone like him? Well, I must be pretty scary according to them.

"-About the Ryder kid. What kind of operation for her?" A Russian asked, curiosity colouring his words. A lisp broke out from beneath his words, but the actual saying wasn't interrupted. Judging by the pudgy male's head I was watching through the vents, I decided that it was definitely Felix Chugainov. His question was possibly directed to Tyrone, but there was a distinct tone that pleaded for the others to respond. I was curious to see what they had planned for my capture, but TrianOut plotting to kidnap and brainwash me into a faceless agent was old news.

"Like I said before," Marien started, her tone doubtful. "If we can get the Thompson kid, we can get her willing."

"No," Tyrone said, shaking her head. The gesture looked odd from my standpoint, but I wasn't going to waste my thoughts on concerns about a betrayer's actions. "I know Amber. She doesn't develop emotional attachments. What's your last name?"

"Marien van der Meer," the Dutch answered.

"Meer," She said, testing the name out in her mouth. "Fine. Meer, we're setting you up in 553. Get your stuff ready to move out. You're not needed here anymore."

"But she's not combat ready," Alina pointed out, moving from the far right corner she was leaning against toward the center. The room was empty of furniture, but a few boxes were stacked on the east side near the only door.

"Did I say she was? No. Get her ready Alina. I don't want to see both of your faces until she's ready to take her own against fifty 553 agents," Tyrone barked. "You have until tomorrow. Dismissed."

The two ladies left the room, leaving Tyrone, Felix and an unidentified male. Dale definitely wasn't in the room.

In front of me, Clifton started moving back into the maze of twists and turns in the air vents. I clamped my left hand onto his left leg and gave him a warning look as Felix began to babble about how dusty the warehouse was.

"Enough!" Tyrone barked, heaving slightly. Felix clamped his mouth shut mid-word. "You're dismissed Chug-Something."

"Chugainov," The male with the deep voice corrected. Oddly enough, Tyrone didn't bother snapping at him. In the time I knew her, Tyrone never raised her voice, much less delivered a cold tone to anyone. Especially her own daughter.

Felix took this as his queue to leave the room, slamming the door shut unpurposely behind him. As soon as he left, Tyrone sank to the ground, leaning against a nearby wall for support. Her bony fingers appeared on the x-ray, and they disappeared on her head, giving her the impression that she was clawing at her oily hair.

The bulky male sank beside her, and the conversation that passed between them was inaudible to my ears all up in the vents. They both suddenly stood up, a few seconds after their initial sit down, and walked to the center of the room, where he kneeled down.

Bowing to her? Was she the Queen or something?

The vent creaked. I froze, but neither seemed to move their position. The vent let out a string of groaning noises, the only indication that the vent wasn't going to be able to support my weight. I knew it would collapse in a minute, give or take a few seconds.

I scrambled for the x-ray machine, barely tucking it in under ten seconds. Leaning forward against the vent floor, I let out a breath before pushing against my former sitting spot. Which was probably the weakest spot.

I wasn't that heavy.

It gave through. A small metal piece fell off, barely making any indication to the two below that the vent clear above them was falling apart. I reached down in the nick of time and latched onto it, my fingers barely escaping with it.

I only had bad news at this point. The vent wasn't in the ceiling. Instead, it was hanging off the roof of the room, so I could now see Tyrone and the unidentified person in clear colour...

Blake?

***

A/N: Why is every TV show starting when school is starting.