Chapter 7: Plan A

The door knob turned. Collin and I both rushed to the sides of our beds and stood with our hands in the air. We heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Ethan appeared and brought us upstairs one after the other. My heart was beating out of my chest.

As we sat at the table eating our scrambled eggs, Ethan absentmindedly told us about some kind of movie he watched last night. I wasn't listening. I was too nervous about what Collin was about to do.

Ethan's coffee finished brewing, and he walked over to get it. His back was turned on us.

"You ready?" Collin mouthed to me. I couldn't answer. I just watched him stand up, grab the frying pan off of the stove, and hit Ethan over the head with it.

I tried to run. I wanted to get out of there more than anyone could possibly imagine. The only problem was, the frying pan somehow didn't know Ethan out. It only stunned him for about two seconds.

He whipped around, grabbed Collin by the shirt, and threw him down the stairway that led to the basement. Then, he grabbed my wrist and yanked me back. I was so scared that he would throw me down as well, but we only pinned me against him and forced me to watch Collin writhe in pain at the bottom of the stairs.

                            ~•~
Collin's POV

I hit Ethan with the frying pan, expecting him to be instantly knocked unconscious. I saw little Ansley stand up and start to run. I was so sure we were getting out of that horrible house.

The next thing I knew,  I was being lifted up (which is no easy task-I'm 6'7" and 240 pounds. I seriously underestimated Ethan's strength.) and thrown down a flight of stairs.

That was probably the most terrifying moment of my life. I thought I was going to die from the impact of landing on a solid concrete floor, and I thought he was planning on killing Ansley as well. I would never forgive myself for letting that happen. Ansley was my sister now. The sister I always wanted.

I hit the floor, and pain shot through my back. I could feel one of my ribs pop out of place. All of the air was knocked out my lungs. I looked up at the top of the steps. My vision was starting to go dark around the edges, but I could see Ethan holding Ansley against him, forcing her to watch me suffer.

"COLLIN!" She screamed my name at the top of her lungs.

"Ansley," I tried to scream back, but all I could manage was a whisper before everything went black.