Chapter 17: Accomodations

I walked on until I found a small town. It occurred to me that I didn't have any money, so that might pose a problem for me as far as finding a place to stay.

There was a little house that I could see from where I was standing on the sidewalk, and I decided that I would ask the owners if I could stay with them for a few nights.

I knew I should've been weary about going into strangers' houses, but I really wasn't afraid of anything anymore. If someone wanted to kill me, they could go ahead and kill me.

I walked up to the house and knocked on the door. "Coming!" I heard a voice say from inside. A small young woman, probably about 5'3" and only a few years older than me, answered the door. She looked startled, and I wasn't sure if that was because I towered over her or because she didn't recognize me. This seemed like the kind of town where everybody knew everybody and outsiders were uncommon.

"Can I help you?" she asked, sounding polite but looking a bit scared. Trust me, I'm not the person you need to fear. I thought.

"Do you think I could maybe stay with you for a few nights?" I asked awkwardly. I didn't know how else to say it.

"Sorry, I'm not in the business of letting strangers into my house," she said, starting to close the door.

"Please!" I said, catching the door with my hand and pushing it fully open. She looked even more scared than she was before. "Please. I just..." I paused, wondering if I should tell her the truth or make something up. "I just got flunked out of college. My parents disowned me, and now I don't have anywhere to go. I've been walking nonstop for three days, and I'm just so tired. Can I please just stay with you until I get back on my feet?" I decided to make up a story so that she wouldn't call the police on Ethan. I wanted to deal with that sick man by myself.

"Well..." She started to say something and then trailed off. She had a sympathetic look in her eyes, but she still seemed a little on edge.

"I promise I won't hurt you," I said gently. I really didn't want her to be afraid of me. I didn't want any own to be afraid of me. Well, except Ethan.

"Ok. I'll trust you. But don't let me down!" She said, stepping aside so that I could come in. I ducked inside the door and looked around the living room that I was now standing in.

"Thank you," I said, turning around to look at my host.

"You're welcome. My name is Anna, by the way."

I cringed. I was so scared she was going to say Ansley.

"I'm Collin," I replied. "So, where can I sleep?" I may have made my story up, but I really did feel like I was walking for three days. I was worn out and just wanted to go to sleep.

"I have an extra room. Follow me," she walked through a small hallway and opened the door to a small room. It had a bed that looked like it was meant for a teenage girl and pink walls. Not exactly the type of room you would expect someone who looked like me to sleep in.

"Is this ok?" she asked.

"It's fine. Thanks again," I said. I would take what I could get. She nodded and left the room.

I planned to get some sleep, wake up in the morning, and start planning my revenge.