Chapter 19: Romantic Advances and Changes of Plans

I had been sitting on my bed thinking for about an hour when Anna walked in.

"Oh!" she said surprisedly when she saw me. "You're awake. I didn't think you would be. I made you breakfast."

She started walking into this room that I was staying in with a platter full of scrambled eggs and toast. I stood up and walked over to take it.

"Thank you," I said. I expected her to leave, but she instead walked past me and sat on the bed she was letting me sleep in.

"So what were you doing up so early?" She asked. I just stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, unsure if I should sit next to her on the bed or not.

"Just thinking," I answered. Please don't ask me what I was thinking about.

"Thinking about what?" She asked. Of course.

"My past," I said simply, finally deciding to sit down next to her. She scooted a few inches closer to me.

"What about your past?" She pressed on, obviously wanting to learn more about me. I didn't blame her. I mean, if a tall man dressed all in black randomly asked if he could spend the night at my house and then went to bed without saying anything about himself, I would want to know more, too.

"Nothing important," I replied. I really didn't want to tell her about Ethan or my life at the orphanage all those years ago. That was really the only past I had, and she was under the false impression that I flunked out of college and was disowned by my family.

"Oh, please. I'm sure it's important," she said. Then, she started walking her fingers up my arm and moving in like she was about to kiss me.

"Ok!" I exclaimed uncomfortably as I quickly stood up. I thought she was asking about me because I arrived unexpectedly and was a bit mysterious, but I them realized that it was because she was attracted to me.

Sure, she was pretty and all, and I was flattered, but I had no interest in a romantic relationship considering she was probably in her mid twenties or very early thirties and I was only nineteen, plus the fact that someone who I considered to be my sister was just murdered and I was now planning to murder the person who murdered her. But of course, she didn't know any of that.

"I didn't mean to startle you," she said, standing up and attempting to massage my shoulders, which were considerably high above her eye level. I stepped away from her and started wolfing down the breakfast she brought me.

"Please don't make this awkward," she kept trying to coax me into being all romantic with her, despite my obvious objections. Honestly, woman! We just met yesterday! Why are you acting like this? And trust me, you've already made it awkward. You needed no help from me.

She kept trying to hug and kiss me while I kept trying to push her away and still be as gentlemanly as possible. Once I finished all the food on my tray, I walked out of the bedroom and towards the front door. Of course, she ran after me.

"Oh, please don't go! I really didn't mean to startle you, it's just that you're so handsome, and I thought that maybe-"

"I think that maybe I should go now!" I cut her off before she could say whatever she was going to say.

"But where will you go? You told me your parents don't want you around, and you don't know anyone else in town!" she said as she grabbed for my arm. I pulled it away and opened her front door.

"Honestly, I don't really know you either. As for where I'll stay, I'll think of something. Now if you'll excuse me, I don't feel comfortable staying with you anymore, so I'm going to leave. Thank you very much for giving me a place to sleep and providing me with breakfast. Goodbye, Anna!" I answered as I stepped out of her house and hurriedly walked away.

It goes without saying that I left earlier than I thought I would, throwing my plan off a bit. It seemed to early to carry out the dirty deed, but I didn't see any other options. Maybe Ethan would be expecting me, but I didn't really care at the moment.

Looked like my little murderous plan would be taking place tonight.

A/N: hello, my lovely readers! I hope you've enjoyed Locked Away so far! I decided to add in a lighthearted chapter to balance out all the sadness that has been taking place. The book is almost over! I have a great surprise ending that I don't think you'll expect! Get excited!!! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. Please remember to share it with all of your friends and recommend it to anyone you think would like it! Thanks!