(17)

* * * *

"See, the world is full of things more powerful than us. But if you know how to catch a ride, you can go places,"

―Neal Stephenson

* * * *

{Chapter: 17}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

The eyes of every pack member are latched solely on the pair of us as we walk across the trimmed grass and towards the burning flames a couple few yards away.

I can feel my nervousness heighten the further away from the house we get and the closer our bodies come together. I've unconsciously moved closer to the hulking figure beside me and Nicholai makes no move to push me away, only squeezing my hand and trudging forward with a confident stride.

No one makes a sound, the crackling of wood burning echoing in the distance while the trees sway to the winds unheard tune, my dress blowing elegantly behind me as I step in sync with Nicholai's long muscular legs.

My heels threaten to wobble beneath me. The slightly uneven earth makes it twice as hard to walk strait in heels but I straiten my spine to appear unaffected, trying to keep steady and hide my obvious nervousness. I keep my eyes forward, only risking a couple glances to my left at the pack members who are all either smiling or have happy expressions on their faces.

Half way to the fire I still feel like we're an oceans distance away. I clench my un-held hand by my side, not sure where to put it without looking awkward. I don't normally fidget so much even in front of so many people. Most big crowds never really made me so fidgety, and I felt I had nothing to be nervous about.

But this is entirely different. I've never been put in the spotlight in front of over a hundred werewolves--or however many werewolves there are here. I can't really tell for sure.

My eyes fleet from a strangers gaze and latch onto a two familiar faces in the crowd, my insides instantly melting in relief that Nicholai isn't the only familiar face I'll be seeing tonight. Edith gives me an encouraging smile and two thumbs up, Julius has a goofy look on his face while he keeps Edith close to his side with two of his beefy arms wrapped possessively around her waist.

I can feel my own smile appearing, feeling less uneasy now that I know I'll know at least someone amidst the astronomically sized crowd. Edith gives me a look that say's, I told you so.

As we near closer to the orange flames I begin to feel the heat waves hit my bare skin, enveloping me in warmth. Nicholai pulls me gently beside him as we come to stand behind the dancing and twirling of the flames, throwing light against my features for everyone to see.

I clench my fist at my side, anxiety building up inside me as everything goes still, their eyes still latched permanently on Nicholai and I.

The light illuminates the faces of pack members at the front of the row, their eyes seeming to glow as they look me over. Several logs have been placed around for a small amount of people to rest, children placed in the grass or in their parents arms while others lounge against tree's nearby.

I stand in front of them and feel like I've been stripped of my confidence, but I try to keep my face from giving away my restlessness. My eyes feel glazed but alert, my skin breaking out in a thin sheer of sweat.