11. Logan's Past

"You'll be safe here." Logan places his silver suit case on the wooden floor. I look around the warehouse apartment, it was quite spacious for a man who lived alone.

"Phil won't be here to help, he's working on your brother's whereabouts." Logan walks into the kitchen beginning to make instant coffee.

I don't say much, only listen and wander around his home. "Coffee?" He asks.

I turn around and nod. "Two sugars and milk." I add in a dragged tone.

"I wanted to ask you something in private when I had the chance." Logan sighs heavily putting his hands on the counter.

"What is it?" I lowly question walking towards him.

The coffee machine beeps as the hot, steamy coffee pours into the cup. The scent was soothing, but it didn't change the sudden swap of tension between us.

Logan grabs the cup and gives it to me. I blow off the steam making my nose feel relieved from my stuffiness. "It has something to do with your case, specifically sex trafficking." He leans on the counter in front of me and rests his elbows on it.

His eyes, they changed completely. I could see the sorrow, the pain staring into mine. Stepping back realizing I could feel his breath on my nose, I decide to look through his pictures on a shelf in the hallway.

"There's a woman I am looking for, I've been looking for a while now." I could hear his footsteps approach me from behind as I freeze completely.

I stare at one photo in particular, a familiar face that seemed unreal in a second. I drop the cup of coffee on the floor, shaking, crying in such suddenness.

"S-Sam?!" I cry hurriedly picking up the framed photo. She was beautiful, nothing like the Sam I saw back in that awful place.

I stare at the photo, I couldn't believe it was her. My heart pounds heavily, it sinks down to my stomach.

"Y-you know her?" Logan taps on the frame while staring at me as if I was his light of hope again.

I back away, pressing the photo against my chest. "I-I promised her...." Dropping on my knees I begin to sob. "I promised her!" I scream in rage.

"Hey, hey!" Logan shouts gripping on my arm, pulling me up he pushes me to the wall. "You know where she is?!"

My eyes remain widened, only staring at him blankly. "I-I promised her we would get out together." I say in a whisper putting my hands on his chest.

Beginning to grip on his long sleeve dress shirt I lean my forehead on his chest. There's a long pause between us, nothing was said, but at the end he gave in and hugged me tightly.

"How do you know her?" I muffle on his chest.

"She's my sister." He lets go of his embrace and walks towards the window. "I'm still looking for her, after two years."

"She's in there, she's alive." I follow him looking down at the photo.

"I'm a failure." Logan scoffs punching the window with his fist. "I couldn't find her, there weren't enough leads to continue the investigation." He shakes his head in disappointment from himself.

"My boss closed the case....Do you know how?" His voice becomes low and hoarse.

I shake my head letting out a soft tone. "No.."

"He closed the case by saying she's a run away." He sulks. "He fucking dismissed the case, just like that."

"Logan..."

"Despite the closed case, I kept digging, hoping I could re open the case, but my boss wouldn't hear any of it." He holds onto the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"He said if I continued the case that was closed I would lose my job." Logan taps his index finger on the picture that was on my hands. "But I never gave up."

"Logan, she's alive. We can still save her, there's still time!" I try to be positive, not just for him, but for myself.

Logan nods placing his hands on mine. "Thank you, Ariel."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man with the golden mask punches  Sam across the face. "Tell me where is she!" He demands in a scream of rage.

Sam spits out the blood from her mouth and groans from the numbing pain of her purple bruised face. "I-I don't know."

"Liar!" The man grips on the back of her head and stares at her empty eye socket. "Why are you protecting her?!"

Sam only shuts her eye, unwilling to look into his devilish stares. "That girl hasn't done shit for you, but make you lose an eye!"

The blonde lets out a small laugh. "You think that's all I lost?" She coughs. "I've lost more than that."

The man lets go of her head and whispers to Jordan in the ear as he nods in agreement.

Jordan stays silent and begins to tie her hands tightly around the rester of the chair. "W-what are you doing?" Sam quivers staring at Jordan who had a smirk smeared across his face.

"You're going to tell me who's in charge of the investigation or you're going to lose more than an eye." Jordan's father tosses a pair of clamps to him.

Sam shakes her head frantically. "I swear! I don't know!" She cries.

"Oh, I think you do." The man crosses his arms to his chest.

"I don't!" She screams. "I don't! I swear!" She sobs trying to pull her hands out of the rope.

"Begin with the five fingers." The man in the golden mask demands.

"My pleasure." Jordan smiles at Sam, clamping her finger nail of her index finger.

"No, no..." Sam shakes her head, sobbing even more than before. "Please, don't."

Jordan begins to pull on her nail making her scream in agony. "No!" She keeps repeating, hearing the crunchy sound of the detaching nail from it's flesh.

Blood squirts out of her nail less finger, staining Jordan's face red. The clamp opens again letting the nail drop to the ground.

"Next one." The boss demands once again.

Jordan open and shuts the clamps in a teasing manner, aiming for her thumb. The blonde gasps for air, trying to regain some breathing. "P-please..."

The clamps shut on her thumb nail and begin to pull it off. Sam could feel the tears of her nail from her soft tissue.

Her right hand goes numb, but the ripping continues. Blood covers her whole hand as it drips to the ground.

"It's your brother." Jordan whispers to her in grimace as he grips onto her nail-less index finger and squeezes it making her scream in excruciating pain, pushing down his finger on her soft bare tissue.

"Three more to go." Jordan chuckles clamping on her middle finger as she lets out another scream.