Chapter 11: Candy and Stars

Song: Midnight City M83

"Waiting in a car
Waiting for a ride in the dark
The night city grows
Look and see her eyes, they glow."

-----------

         "You outdo yourself every year," I tell Remi and set down the bags full of candy on her kitchen table.

            Remi starts taking the bags out and opening the candy for her caldron. "You know this party is my baby," she says. "It can't be the same every year. So far, I think this will be the best one yet. My parents gave me a bigger budget."

            I look around at the kitchen, which was bare compared to the house. "Where are they?"

            "Out with friends tonight," she replies and sweeps up the open bags of candy. "They trust me, I guess. You already know how I feel about drinking."

            I gather what she couldn't and follow her to the foyer. "Yeah, I know. But this is going to be great, Remi."

            She gives me a smile and we start dumping the bags of candy into the caldron. "Alyssa's supposed to come tonight," she says and tucks a green colored strand of hair behind her ear. "But we'll see if she can make it."

            Alyssa is the girl Remi couldn't stop talking about when they met. They've been on a couple of dates and I can tell she's smitten. "Then I'm sure she'll be here," I say with a smile. "Have you heard from Parker?"

            "Briefly this morning," she answers, dumping two more bags in. "He'll probably be here soon with Samantha. I heard the couple costumes thing was a go."

            "Hopefully that Barbie and Ken thing was completely off her mind," I mumble and dump in the last two bags. "Parker would pull it off though."

            Remi looks at me and flutters her lashes. "And you could be his Barbie."

            I scoff. "I am not a Barbie!"

            She laughs and throws an arm around my shoulders. "I didn't call you a Barbie," she informs me. "I'm just saying you guys go together like Barbie and Ken."

            "Not with Parker," I say. "You already know we don't like each other that way. Believe me, Parker has made it known that he doesn't look at me that way." I lower my voice down to a whisper. "I can't kiss both Hensley brothers."

            Remi laughs out really loud. "I totally forgot about that. You gave Nathan a boner and never talked to him again."

            My cheeks heat and I groan. "I told you not to bring that up!"

            "You brought something else up," she quips.

            I open my mouth to say something else, but snap it shut because I just realize what she said. "You're disgusting."

            Remi's lips form a grin. "You know it. So...you and Parker are a no go?"

            "We're a no go," I clarify. "I don't think you understand how weird that would be."

            She sighs. "You're probably right. I think you and Jasper look incredibly cute together, even if that means burying my hopes and dreams for you and Parker."

            I shiver at the thought. Parker and I have been friend's way too long. My feelings for Parker are purely friendship and I know he feels the same about me. He's called me his sister way too many times to think about him any other way. Guys and girls can be just friends. Clearly Remi thinks otherwise.