Chapter 37

Other than Ellie's intermittent sobbing and her own sniffling, the ride back to the hospital had been quiet. Teagan decided she needed to lighten up the situation with a little conversation. She needed something to take her mind off Alyssa's death.

Agent Harris hadn't said much since he gave her cell phone back except to ask if they had their seat belts on and if they needed anything. One thing had been weighing on her a bit and she decided to get it off her chest.

"So, what's up with you and my mom?" She watched the cool FBI guy to see if he'd unravel. Different when you're the one being interrogated.

His fingers did a drumroll on the steering wheel. "Nothing. There's nothing up with your mom and me. Right now, we're colleagues working on a project. Besides, she hates me." His smile wasn't convincing.

"I think she might be into you." Teagan sniffed and smirked.

The SUV swerved.

Got him. "Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch."

Ellie giggled and winced in pain. "Ouch."

Teagan whipped around. Ellie had hold of her side, under her left breast.

"Shit, Ells. You break a rib?"

"I don't know. Hurts like hell when I laugh."

"Probably a fractured rib." Agent Harris looked at Ellie through the rearview mirror.

"No shit." Teagan scoffed. "Can we do anything for it?" This guy had to have an answer to help Ellie's pain. Some FBI super drug or whatever.

"Try not to make any sudden movements or laugh."

Not the answer she had in mind. "Nut up, Ells." Teagan gave her a look. "You weren't the one who got attacked and almost defiled by a monster."

Ellie smacked the back of Teagan's seat. "Kiss my ass, you didn't even get hurt."

"Bullshit. Got my skull cracked good. Then I lopped his dick off. So, quit whining."

"Oh my God, Teagan. Are you fucking...?"

"Hey!" Agent Harris interrupted. "Let's try and keep the language PG-13."

Ellie humphed. "That means we can say fuck every thirty minutes."

Teagan tried not to giggle and snorted instead. She caught Agent Harris smiling into his hand.

"I'm sorry Ells, this shit is starting to get to me. I'm pissed off, sad and confused."

"What's new? You're like that ninety percent of the time." Ellie's hand cupped over the top of Teagan's.

She thought about pulling her hand away, but left it and let a tear trickle down her cheek. Ellie squeezed her hand softly. Ells didn't have to say it. Teagan knew they both had Lyssa on their minds.

"We'll get through this. You did good, girl. Fucked that thing up good. That's the best revenge you could get for us, and for poor Lys."

Agent Harris looked at his watch. "Umm...your thirty minutes isn't up yet."

Ellie shot him her 'shut the fuck up' glare. A look she knew all too well.

"Relax Mr. Agent Man." Teagan gave the guy a pat on the shoulder.

"Ross."

"What?" Ellie lifted an eyebrow.

"Call me, Ross. It's my name. As in Ich bin, Ross. Or, Je suis, Ross."

Ellie's brow crinkled. "Got it, man of a thousand languages. You also a man of a thousand faces? Got any cool FBI disguises in here?"

"If I told you, I'd have to kill you." He smiled.

The sincerity behind his smile showed Teagan that she could trust him. Kind a cute for an old guy too. Seems nice. Family-oriented? Maybe. She'd have to delve into that realm a little further.

"So, Ross." Teagan turned so she could look at him without twisting her head. Her neck had stiffened.

"Yep."

"Where you from?"

"I grew up in Southern Oregon, small town called Phoenix, it's near Medford. You heard of it?"

"City just before Ashland?" Teagan looked back at Ells, who drifted in and out of sleep.

"One of 'em."

Ellie opened her eyes. "My mom took us to Ashland once. There's a cool theater down there."

"It's an outdoor Shakespearean theater," Ross said.

"Yeah, it was pretty cool when I went." Ellie laid her head against the window and closed her eyes.

"You married?" Teagan figured either widower or divorced. Most likely divorced.

"Married and divorced." Ross shifted in his seat.

That one got to him. Teagan smiled. "Kids?"

"Yep. Two daughters."

"How old?"

"Fourteen."

"Both?" Ellie asked.

"Twins?" Teagan mused.

"Correct. Twin girls. Madison and Mellissa."

"Cool." Ellie giggled. "The M&M twins."

Teagan smiled.

"We get that one a lot." Ross guffawed. "You two need to get some rest. We'll be at OHSU in about forty-five minutes."

Teagan curled up in her seat. In a lot of ways, Ross reminded her of her dad. Solid dependability emanated from him, yet a quiet arrogance lingered, a trait her father didn't have. Her eyes shut as she tried to remember fun times with her daddy. No more...bad...thoughts... 

Hey, faithful readers. 

If you're enjoying the novel leave me a comment and vote if you would.