Chapter 44

High-pitched screams echoed through the back of the truck. Teagan knew it wasn't Ellie but recognized the horrid cry. A shrill wail she would be haunted by for the rest of her life.

"What was that?" Ross turned to her, his eyes wide.

Another scream sent a chill of terror through Teagan. Her pulse pounded in her throat. No. No. No. Breaths of cold air pumped in and out of her mouth.

Ellie screamed again. More mind-altering shrieks followed. Teagan dropped to the ground, sobbing. "She can't die like this."

"Shhhh." Ross knelt next to her and put his hand on her back. "Stay here. I'll check on her."

"No, don't." Tears welled in her eyes. "You're right. We have to wait until...until it's over." She wiped her nose with her shirt.

After the worst wait of her life, the awful sounds stopped. "Those monsters killed Ellie and Alyssa. You have to kill them all."

Ross had his head in his hands. "I'm sorry I couldn't save all of you."

"It's okay." Teagan knew deep in her gut, if he went out, they'd all be killed. "Maybe my mom sent someone for us?"

Ross stood and turned his flashlight back on. "It's been long enough. They're probably gone. I hope she's doing something. But we can't stay here. We have to check on Ellie. She could still be alive."

Teagan understood and the thought of seeing Ellie again gave her some confidence. "Okay. What do we do now?"

"Stay close behind me." His hand flicked through his hair. The sweat matted it down. Gray and black hair slicked together like a greaser from the '50's.

"What about the other ones?" she asked.

For the first time during their time together, Ross looked like he had no clue. "His screaming probably brought the others. One we might be able to handle. If all of them are out there, I have no idea"

"Agent Ross, it's Ellie. We have to try."

His head bobbed up and down. "Okay. Let's do this." He grabbed her by the hand and they slunk out of the trailer.

Teagan's eyes swarmed the area looking for the Trills. "Maybe they eat their dead."

"What?" Ross let go of her and pulled the big gun from his shoulder. He then attached his flashlight to it.

"That's handy."

He shushed her.

The light from the shotgun didn't find any glowing eyes, but she felt them. They lurked somewhere out there...in the dark.

"Is that a bazooka?" she asked as they crept toward the SUV.

"No. It's a riot shotgun. A bazooka is much, much bigger. Look." He pointed the gun toward the car.

A Trill stumbled from behind the SUV's open passenger door, his hands gripped between his legs, his face puzzled.

"That's the same bastard that killed Lyssa." She scowled and pushed Ross forward.

"Yeah. It's Curly." Ross shone the light on the Trill. He wobbled like a linebacker at a kegger. Blood spurt between his fingers and ran down the insides of his legs.

"Why would he attack Ellie if he doesn't have a dick anymore?"

Ross whispered, "I've got no idea. Maybe his mind tells him to mate even if his body can't."

Teagan rolled her eyes in disbelief. "Fuck me. They attack even when they're injured? That sucks."

The creature Ross called, 'Curly', looked at his hands and dropped to his knees. Blood flowed from his groin onto the street. His eyes rolled back and he gave another mind numbing screech.

"He's calling for help. You have to try and kill him now." She knew if the others came before they got to the SUV, her, Ross, and Ellie would be dead meat. Most likely, they'd be dinner.

"First we have to make sure there aren't any others around."

"There's nothing coming. Kill him. Fuck. If you won't, I will. Give me the gun." Teagan held her hand out.

"Funny girl." Ross looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "I don't think so. But you're right. He dies...now." With the caution of one walking across thin ice, Ross made his way to the creature in the road and put the shotgun to its head. It wailed and attempted to claw him but Ross jumped out of the way. "A bit slow aren't you, Curly? Dodge this motherfucker."

Teagan didn't look away but plugged her ears . Even though she anticipated it, the blast of the gun startled her. Curly's head didn't explode, but tissue and blood splashed Ross.

"Is it dead?"

The gun went off again. If it wasn't dead with the first blast, the second one probably worked. Curly fell back with his legs under him. Blood and brains scattered across the street. A dry heave rushed to Teagan's throat.

Ross spat on the carcass. "I think it's fair to say he's dead."

"Check Ells. See if she's okay." Tears dripped down Teagan's face. If she lost Ellie and Alyssa on the same day, well, she didn't want to even think about it. She turned away, standing on the street beside the semi. There's no way she could watch him pull Ellie's limp, dead, mutilated body from the car. Maybe the pain inside would go away if she punched the cement. After dropping to her knees, she did just that. Hit after hit until blinding pain shot through both hands.

A shuffling from behind froze her. She'd heard of night terrors causing paralysis, the slow deep breaths of the night terror behind her, froze her like a popsicle. One of them must have caught her off guard. Any second it would strike the killing blow. With clenched eyes and bloody knuckles, she waited for the guillotine to drop.

Please comment and vote if you liked the chapter.

How the hell is Teagan going to get out of this one?