Chapter 50

"I can walk on my own, thank you." Alexa let go of Ross's arm.

"Got it." His hands flew into the air. "I'll check on Ellie."

While her right foot ached and her head throbbed like an ECG blip, she didn't need a man to walk her to her distressed daughter. It's not that she didn't find his chivalrous gesture charming. She appreciated his help but could take care of her own.

"I'd call and check on Beef but have no idea where my radio fell off." His eyes danced across a moat of lit green grass into a squall of black. One hand held his ribs, the other his neck. Trickles of blood seeped through his fingers. A shotgun dangled from his left shoulder. Her dart gun's handle stuck up from his waistband.

"Are you going to be okay." She nodded toward his wound.

"A few tiny reminders from Savannah of who's boss in these here parts."

Not funny. And he's still using the tri-allele's human name.

Teagan lay on her side with her knees to her chest, head resting on the concrete. The blood alarmed Alexa but Teagan's catatonic stare truly frightened her. She wasn't tending to her wounds or acknowledging her mother's presence

"Take some deep breaths." Her sweat filled hand trembled against the back of Teagan's head. She pulled her daughter into her lap. Another action she hadn't done in a long time.

Ross returned with a wool blanket and a medical kit. He'd taken off his jacket but still had his weapons with him.

Smart.

"You're supposed to be checking on Ellie."

"She's alive. A little bruised but sleeping soundly in the back seat." Ross opened the medical kit and handed her a 5x5 piece of gauze.

"Thank Goodness, she's safe." Alexa covered the wound and pressed the gauze firm against the cuts.

Ross glanced back at the truck. "Looks like Curly lost a lot of blood."

"He was too weak to hurt her." She mused.

"I think you're right." He shrugged. "At least we know a couple of ways to kill them, though, not everyone will have a tire iron with them."

"Maybe they should be standard issue to all women. Can you imagine everyone carrying around tire irons? Oh, the irony." Really, Alexa? 

Ross guffawed at her joke fail. He placed two pieces of medical tape across the bandage. Then he Superman-caped the blanket over Teagan and kissed her forehead.

Alexa hadn't expected the show of genuine affection from Ross. It almost startled her. She pulled the blanket around her daughter the rest of the way.

"What we need," Ross said, "is to get this wonder serum to the military and police across the globe ... ASAP."

"Yes. We'll have to do that." A fact she hadn't overlooked.

"Jesus. Your head." Ross dug through the tiny kit. "There's no more gauze." Again he caught her off guard. White buttons shot in every direction as he tore his shirt off. "Here. That was the only piece of gauze. We'll use this."

Alexa watched his hands as if he had a more serious agenda. With the shirt folded in fourths, he placed it on the back of her head.

"You're bleeding," he said. "Put pressure on the wound."

For a moment she marveled at his half-clothed appearance. The woman inside of her (the one who reared her head ... on occasion) forced her to take another glimpse. Thick striated muscles rippled under matted chest hairs which dwindled as they arrowed toward his ab surrounded belly button.