Evanescence

The Commander continued his talk...'In electromagnetics, an evanescent wave is an oscillating electric or magnetic field, or a combination of both, which does not propagate as electromagnetic wave but whose energy is spatially concentrated in the vicinity of the source, for example oscillating charges and currents, this includes radio antennas, the resulting action is the launching of a surface wave. This is, we believe, the mechanism that the invader is using in their tunnels. We do not, as yet, understand how they have scaled up this phenomenon, which  normally only occurs in the quantum state, but there is little doubt that it is the means by which they are driving forwards their assault on this planet.'

The audience, mostly political and military, but essentially non-technical, appeared to be no wiser, but for one man, who did understand the meaning and the mechanism, it was only too plain what was said and what the implication would be for the earth and for us. And for him, it was as if a light had been shone into a darkened place, and he knew exactly what he must do and where he must do it. He crept out from his seat at the rear of the lecture room, sidled to the guarded door, made his quiet excuse, was allowed to exit, and left the confused, ineffectual remains to their weakness, he had work to do.