Chapter 5

This book is doing better than I thought it would. Thank you!
~Blazey

It had been a long night. I didn't get any sleep. It was to loud, and the floor was plagued with something gross and sticky that I refused to further investigate. Mould etched the corners and the only safe place was near the front bars where the only people who could get me were the officers. Breakfast looked terrible, and I lost my appetite to quick to even try.

I had been here for a full twenty-four hours-maybe. I couldn't really tell how long I had been down there. The men harassed me, and I tried my best to ignore it. The other prisoners picked out every visible flaw and said every possible thing to make me uncomfortable. I tried not to give them a reaction.

"Are you Alec?" It was a voice filled with authority. I looked up from the floor to see a man on the other side of the bars. He wore a black uniform for the guards and had dirty blond hair. He seemed familiar, but I brushed it off.
"Yeah. That's me." I instantly regretted talking. My throat felt like sand paper and the sentence came out like a croak.
I looked up at the officer and he walked away. I felt confused. That was it?

I heard a laugh beside me. I looked to the sound to see a red haired older man staring at me intensely; half transformed but not quite. I became very uncomfortable.
"That was Lee" he muttered loudly.
"He only talks to someone before they get executed" He bent over and gnawed at his side. I felt my heart stop. "They just take em' right out back and shoot em'." He continued after a pause.

I decided that he was just messing around. After all, half of the men in here had probably gone crazy. I leaned on the bars. But what if he wasn't joking? I began to feel shaky.
I ran my fingers through my hair. I paused, suddenly hearing something in the distance. I looked around quickly and suddenly heard a howl. It was wild and came from outside.

The jail suddenly went frantic. Men jumped on the bars and started growling wildly. What was going on out there? I could hear snarling. Was... was this pack being attacked? I suddenly felt hope, but jolted to the door that suddenly opened. There stood Lee, his eyes burrowing into me.
"Come with me" he instructed suddenly. I felt my hope wash away and a lump form in my throat.

I walked over and he grabbed my wrist. I was dragged up a set of stairs until we walked out a door. I tried to calm down. Everything was going to be ok. I looked down at Lee's other hand and my stomach dropped. A gun. Looks like the man in the cell beside me was right.

We got outside and in the setting light of the sun, I could see all of the wolves. It smelled of blood, sweat and dog.
I could hear snarls and howls all around. There were wolves fighting everywhere. It was crazy and I didn't know what to think. Would someone attack us? I was dragged behind the building. I suppose it didn't matter since I was going to die anyways.

Lee kicked me onto my knees and I landed with a thump, scrapping my knees on the cool hard ground. I tensed immediately as the harsh wind hit my already cold body. My head was bowed and I heard the loading of the pistol. Everything seemed to go slow. I squeezed my eyes shut until I heard the sound of the gun going off and everything seemed to go silent.

I opened my eyes when I heard the whimper of a wolf. I shook heavily. I wasn't dead. I was alive. I looked up at Lee. A wolf was sprawled out in front of him, convulsing as he lay, trying to shift, but unable, due to the fatal wound. I looked away from the sight and at the ground. I waited for Lee to reload his gun so he could shoot me now.

"Where is he?" The angry voice suddenly lit Shane like a torch, but I stayed confused. Lee turned.
"Where is he?" Said the voice louder. Lee stepped out of the way to reveal Damian. He wore dark jeans and was without a shirt. He looked intimidating and I had to keep myself from looking at the ground again. He seemed angry and out of control.

His light blue eyes scanned the scene until they met with mine. He let out a growl and quickly walked over. I flinched as he got close and readied myself to be hit; punishment for my escape. Instead I was pulled into his arms. My eyes shot open, getting ready to be strangled but it never came either. Instead, I felt his forehead press to mine. His eyes were shut tightly, taking in the moment and breathing me in.

He was warm and smelt so much better than that jail.
He opened his eyes again and pulled his forehead from mine.
"What were you thinking?!" He yelled loudly.
"I- I don't know. I-" he stopped me suddenly and his eyes glazed over, mind linking his men. He snapped out of it then looked down at me.
"Come on. We're going home." To my surprise, he picked me up and started off in a quick walk through the destruction.

A soldier quickly walked up to him, his brown eyes shining in the sun.
"Alpha Damian, you look tired. Would you like me to carry him for-"
"No." Damian shot down his request before he finished, a possessive tone seeping through his voice. The soldier looked surprised, then nodded; eyeing me for any hint of who I may be.

Though I didn't know how to feel in his arms, but Shane seemed at peace against Damian's warm bare chest. I let my head lay against him.
I wasn't in that jail cell. I wasn't being yelled at or spat at. I could go back to my pack. Shane came to an ease and I felt drowsy. I closed my eyes and managed to fall asleep to the sound of Damian's heart beat.