Chapter 7: Tease

Becca

The halls of Eastwood High were full of chatter and excitement on Monday morning. Students were huddled together while eagerly whispering to one another, their phones glued to their hands as they texted quickly. Surely, something big happened over the weekend that I wasn't aware of. Maybe another fake relationship started? I laughed to myself thinking about it.

I felt a tug on my ponytail and snapped out of my daze. I looked over at Brett walking beside me, completely forgetting he was there. He was staring at me with wide, sad eyes and his lips in a pout. He wanted my attention. His bag was slung over one of his arms, with mine hanging off the other. He insisted on carrying it for me to my locker every morning.

"What is it?" I asked, arriving at my locker and entering the combination. Turning to face Brett, I reached for my bag on his shoulder at the same that he quickly pulled it off, holding it high above his head.

"Brett," I rolled my eyes, annoyed. "Give me my bag," I demanded, crossing my arms firmly over my chest and staring at him through narrowed eyes.

"You want it?" He teased. "Then come get it," his eyes sparkled with mischief as he challenged me, wiggling his eyebrows. Refusing to laugh, I stood on my tip toes and reached up, but my arms weren't nearly long enough. He was still too tall and the bag too high.

"Give me it before you regret it." I said sweetly, fluttering my eyelashes at him. Brett's mouth popped open at my challenge.

He laughed deeply and leaned in close to me, his eyes blazing while his hands remained in the air above his head. He hovered with his face next to mine, our cheeks grazing. His lips touched my earlobe as he spoke and his breath blew down my neck, making my hair stand on end. "What are you going to do, girlfriend, with all these people watching?"

He pulled back quickly, nodding his head to the hallway. I had been so absorbed in our little bubble that I hadn't even noticed the crowd that formed around us. People were watching us closely and eagerly witnessing our flirty encounter. Dozens of girls were staring at me, majority of them looked envious but others were smiling sweetly, watching adoringly.

I flicked my gaze back to Brett who was watching me smugly, a triumphant smile on his face. My book bag was still held high above his head and the bell would ring any minute. He wouldn't dare make me late to class, I knew he would give me my bag back eventually. But I was feeling daring this morning and, truthfully, his childish behaviour was starting to annoy me.

He was watching me intently, waiting for me to give up. Swiftly, I stuck my foot out and kicked him in the shin, making him hunch over suddenly in shock as his eyes widened in surprise and a strangled gasp escaped his lips. My bag fell out of his hand and crashed onto the floor as he clutched his leg in pain.

Please, like that actually hurt.

I smiled, satisfied, as I bent over and retrieved my bag off the floor. Brett was leaning against the lockers, still nursing his leg between his hands, cursing under his breath.

"What the hell, Becca?" His whined. When his face turned towards mine, he looked impressed.

"I warned you," I replied, grinning down at him.

He began to laugh, shaking his head back and forth. "You're a piece of work." He remarked, making me smile. "Next time play fair," he stated, rolling his eyes.

I hugged my bag tightly to my chest and blew him a kiss. "I guess I'll see you at lunch, boyfriend," I purposely emphasized the last word and smiled smugly, proud of myself. "Hey, you should probably put some ice on that!" I called out to him, before winking and turning my back towards him, walking away to my next class as his laughter echoed down the hallway.