Chapter 14: Confessions

Becca

I didn't know how long I was asleep for, but I did know one thing: Brett was gone. The image of him retreating down the hallway was stuck in my mind. I know I did the right thing. This fake relationship was never going to last; it never could have survived the scrutiny we endured everyday at school. Not to mention that a relationship is built on trust and on genuine feelings -- two things that Brett and I were missing. Although I wasn't sure who was missing what...

I rolled over in bed, waking up to the sound of someone knocking at my door.

"Brett, I swear to God.." I mumbled to myself, smoothing out the crinkles in my uniform and pulling my hair into a bun while walking down the hallway. I peaked through the hole and was greeted by a friendly smile belonging to the person I least expected.

"Parker?" I couldn't hide the surprise from my voice when I opened the door. "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged, his face was one of amusement as he gave me a once over.

"Did I wake you up?" He suppressed a laugh, his brown eyes friendly. He was wearing a dark grey button-up shirt with blue jeans. His platinum curls stood up wildly on his head, a few hanging over his forehead and falling into his eyes.

"You did. What are you doing here?" I repeated, suppressing a yawn.

"I was in the neighbourhood," he shrugged. "I wanted to see if you were okay." His eyes shifted away from mine as he said that. Was he hiding something? I doubted he was actually in the area, he probably just wanted to check up on me. That was sweet of him.

My mind was still struggling to comprehend how he was related to Jenny, his polar opposite.

"I'm fine," I lied. After what just happened with Brett, I wanted to be alone. Parker's intentions seemed to be sincere, like he was just simply looking out for me, but I wasn't in the mood for company.

He cocked his head and stared at me knowingly, rolling his eyes.

"You're not fine, Becca. Your eyes are red so I know you've been crying," he held up one finger for every point he's making, "you should be in class right now but you're not and you definitely don't strike me as the kind of person who skips class," he said matter-of-factly, three fingers pointing upwards. Well, he was observant. I'll give him that.

He smiled at me kindly, his voice was gentle when he spoke. "What happened?"

"I broke up with Brett," I blurted it out before I could stop myself. The words felt weird on my tongue. Saying them out loud suddenly made everything seem very, very real.

"I'm sorry," Parker replied, and he looked as if he genuinely meant it. "Look," he fidgeted with the buttons on his shirt as he spoke, "do you want to go get something to eat?"

Was he asking me on a date right after I told him about Brett? My face must have showed my confusion because he held his hands up in defence, his eyes wide.

"Not as a date!" He clarified. "Just as friends. It looks like you could use someone to talk to. I'm a great listener," he smiled smugly and leaned against the door frame, crossing his arms over his chest and watching me, his brow furrowed.

I could either stay at home alone and sulk, basking in self-pity and driving myself completely insane. Or, I could go eat with Parker: the guy who always seemed to show up at the right time and who's friendly smile made me feel like I could confide in him. The answer seemed pretty obvious.

"Fine," I sighed, bringing a smile to his face, his eyes lighting up at my response.

As we walked to the elevator, he chatted easily about his day. Filling me in on his life and bringing my mind away from Brett. I was thankful for the distraction.