Chapter 35: Jaded

Becca

"Mom!" I called out, entering my apartment slowly and locking the door behind me. Brett wanted to come with me but I told him I'd call him later, needing to do this alone. He was hesitant to leave me, as he always was, but he eventually gave in when I threatened to never kiss him again.

"Mom?" I called again, walking into the kitchen. The room seemed different for some reason. I was expecting to see the broken glass on the floor, to smell the burning cookies in the air. But there was no trace of the day before. The counters were glistening, not a speck of glass on the floor or anything remotely out of place. It was as if nothing ever happened.

If only I could clean the mess so easily out of my mind.

I left the kitchen and walked down the hallway to my mom's bedroom, my footsteps echoing on the wooden floors. Her luggage was open on her bed, clothes thrown onto it in a messy lump. My mom was sitting on the edge of the bed with her back to me, shoulders slumped and her head resting in her hands.

"Mom?" I said slowly, not wanting to startle her. Her head snapped around quickly, her eyes widened as she saw me and immediately filled with tears.

"Oh, Becca," she said between sobs, running to me and wrapping me in her arms. I rubbed her back soothingly. I regretted ever leaving and making her worry about me. She pulled back after a moment and held me at arms length, her eyes scanning my face quickly. She looked exhausted, the wrinkles in her face more prominent than ever. "I'm so sorry, my love. Are you alright?"

"I'm okay," I told her, feeling better now that the tension between us was lifted.

"I should have never suggested you stay with your father. I don't know what I was thinking."

"How could you even suggest that, Mom? You know how I feel about him."

"He called me last week and mentioned how much he missed you, that he wants to see you again."

"Well I don't want to see him." I replied firmly, angrier than I intended.

"I know, baby. I know," she stroked my cheek gently. "I should have known better. I'm sorry," I knew that she truly meant it and I was ready to leave this in the past permanently - my father included.

"I'm fine, Mom." I reassured her. She hugged me again, tighter this time as if I would disappear in a moments notice. Suddenly she pulled back, her eyebrows drawing together questioningly.

"Where did you stay last night? With Cassie?"

Oh no. My eyes darted around the room, anywhere other than her's. I could lie and pretend to have stayed with Cassie, but that brief moment of clarity in the hallway earlier came back to me. Brett and I spent so much time hiding, it was time to move past that.

"I stayed with Brett," I said hesitantly. Her face brightened in understanding and I could practically see the millions of questions begging to escape her lips. I fidgeted nervously, trying to find the best way to approach this. "We're dating," I blurted out, unable to hide the smile from my face.

I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the inevitable hugging, the shrieking and the possible tears of joy. After a second, when there was no noise and no touching, I slowly opened my eyes again. My mother was staring at me proudly, a wide smile on her face, one that radiated happiness.

"I knew you liked him," she replied after a moment, a wistful expression on her face.

"Mom," I groaned, not wanting to talk about this.

"I just want you to be happy, my love. And from the look on your face, I know that you are." Her expression turned serious suddenly. "You slept in different beds, right?"