Chapter 8: The Calm

Becca

"You almost done in there?" I called out. Cassie was rummaging through my closet, picking out an outfit for me to wear tonight.

It was Friday. The night of Jenny's party.

Right now, the Eastwood High Bears were playing their second game of the season. They were probably winning too, but I had no way of finding out. Brett wouldn't be able to text me the outcome for another hour or so, when the game finally ended.

He was upset when I told him I wasn't going to attend the game, but ultimately he understood. I wanted to stay home and get ready for the party instead. That way, I could actually put in some effort and attempt to look decent for once. I knew Brett was going to look like a freaking god, the least I could do was try to look above average.

After the game Brett was going to go home and change, and then come pick me up. I was nervous, to say the least. Not only was this going to be my first high school party, but it was being thrown by the same girl that tried to ruin my life on several occasions. And who now was trying to steal my boyfriend.

Well, fake boyfriend. Whatever.

I pulled at a loose thread in my pillow, chewing on my bottom lip while my anxiety for the night ahead grew. I didn't know what to expect. I had no experience with this kind of thing. I didn't like parties, crowds, attention or alcohol. If it wasn't for Brett, I wouldn't even be going.

He owes me, I thought to myself.

"Cassie, seriously, did you get lost in there?" I rolled my eyes in annoyance. It had been almost five minutes and she still hadn't emerged from the depths of my closest. "I don't even own that many clothes. What the hell is taking you so long?" I picked up a pillow and threw it through the open door.

"Ouch!" She called. Good, I hit her.

What was it with me and hitting people lately? I laughed thinking about mine and Brett's playful encounter during lunch this past week. I had just seen him at school a couple of hours ago, but I missed him already.

Every time I was around him, he was like a light. He made me feel happy and carefree, I couldn't help but smile and laugh in his presence. Without him, I felt heavier. Like something was missing. I hated how dependant I was becoming on him, but I didn't know what else to do. I enjoyed his company and he seemed to enjoy mine.

Cassie peeked her head out from my closet door, interrupting my thoughts.

"We should have done this at my house. Your clothes seriously suck." She scrunched up her face in disgust before retreating back into my closet.

I stood up and placed the pillow I had been fidgeting with back on my bed. "Cass, this is officially ridiculous." I walked over to my closet, deciding to just pick out my own outfit.

I peeked through the door and stood there in shock. My clothes were thrown everywhere. Skirts laid in piles on the floor, jackets were hanging half off their hooks and all my sweaters were tossed in one corner in a messy lump. I peeled my eyes off the floor and looked at Cassie. She was standing in the corner with a sheepish grin on her face, fidgeting nervously with the clothes she was holding.

I narrowed my eyes at her. I knew she meant well, she just wanted to help me look my best for tonight. I reminded myself of that before I said something I would regret.

"You're cleaning this up," I mumbled, gesturing to the mess around me before walking back over to my bed and sitting down on the blue covers. "Show me what you picked out!" I called, encouraging her to exit my closet and show me the garments she was holding.