Chapter 9: Before

Becca

I nearly had to pick my jaw up off my lap when we pulled onto the road leading to Jenny's house. It sat nestled at the end of a long and winding street, lined by trees lit up with thousands of twinkling lights.

Her house - although the term castle seems more fitting- was enormous. The driveway was curved into a circle around the front of the house. A fountain sat in the middle of it, shooting up water in tiers while a light illuminated it, making the water flash different colours. The house was a mix or white and grey stone, bright flowers and perfectly trimmed bushes adored every ounce of her lawn. Her front doors were massive, a deep, chestnut brown surrounded by two white marble pillars, holding up a balcony that rested on top of the entrance way. Hundreds of windows decorated the house, and the roof peaked up into sharp triangles, similar to the ones you would see on a castle.

It was breathtaking. I couldn't imagine living a life of such luxury. I was burning with envy.

Her driveway was already covered with dozens of cars. People were lingering by the fountain, taking pictures in front of it and splashing their friends. As Brett pulled in, I could hear the hum of music coming from inside. The party was already in full swing.

My palms began to sweat and my head was spinning. Nerves were rolling off me in bundles. My heart beat was through the roof and I couldn't calm it. I noticed the stillness around me and realized Brett had parked the car. I peeled my eyes off the magnificent house and turned to look at him, his eyes already watching me intently.

He reached out and held my hand in his, as if he could sense how nervous I was.

"This house is definitely something."

He chuckled at my comment, his eyes roaming over the massive brick walls.

"You'll get used to it. Big houses aren't everything, Becca." He looked back at me, smiling sadly. "What matters is the family that lives within it." He whispered so quietly, pain etched into the lines of his face. Brett had never mentioned his family to me. I wondered if there were problems at home...problems he didn't tell anyone about.

His words stuck in my mind: you'll get used to it.

Had he been here before?

"You've been to Jenny's house before?" I decided to ask the question that was begging to escape my lips.

He shrugged, brushing it off like no big deal. "A couple of times over the years. Jenny throws a wicked party, I'll give her that." He laughed dryly before removing his hand from mine and getting out of the car. Opening my door, I followed his lead and met him in the middle. We stood leaning on his convertible, staring up at the massive house towering over us.

He took my hand in his and I felt warm again. "Are you ready for this?" His eyes didn't leave the house as he spoke to me.

I swallowed my nerves and simply nodded my head, afraid of what my voice would sound like if I tried to speak.

He laughed beside me, looping his arm around my waist and pulling me firmly against his side. "Come on, let's have some fun."

He lead me through the circular driveway and up the stairs that led to the front porch. The closer we got, the louder the music became. I could hear people laughing and talking through the door and I suddenly felt alone. Brett was the only person I knew here, what would I do if he left me alone for a moment?

The immediate regret I felt was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing. I took a deep breath and pressed myself closer into Brett's side, making him smile. He leaned down and kissed the top of my head.