4

"Kiera, Kiera...wake up." A voice I detected to be Gabby spoke.

"What?" I mumbled groggily

"We survived our first night on the island!" Gabby chirped

"That's great!" I said sleepily.

I can't believe it's my first night alone on an island for the government.

Rubbing my eyes, I shot up, and winced.

Sleeping on palm leaves is not like the memory foam mattress you have at home.

Gabby looked at me again.

"So I thought we could go foraging for some edible fruits and berries?"

I chuckled. "Yeah, sure."

I looked around, to see the sun just past rising. It had to be around 8:00.

Everyone else was sitting on their palm leaves; probably thinking of the days ahead.

Getting up, I dusted my pants, and decided to go with Gabby to get the berries.

Fifteen minutes later and we were knee deep in the forest like part of the island. There were tons of palm trees and bushes that littered the ground.

"Wow." I murmured

"Let's split up Kiera. How about we meet up in ten minutes back at camp?" Gabby suggests

"Yeah..sure" I respond

Gabby walked to a different part of the island, leaving me alone.

Wandering around aimlessly, I gazed at different bushes and trees.

Looking up, I almost sighed in relief.

Bananas! Are these a trap?

They looked pretty real to me, so I decided to take my chances.

Me and my dad used to climb trees when I was little. Maybe I still have a little skill left?

Okay, grab on and hoist yourself up.

Jumping, I grabbed a branch, and began to pull myself up. My sneakers digged into the grooves of the tree.

Grunting, I reached for another branch. Slowly, I began to climb the tree. It was like the bananas were an inch away.

Finally, I was hoisted on the top branch were the bananas resided.

Grinning, I crawled to the branch next to me, and reached.

What I didn't notice, was the little brown monkey starting at me.

My eyes widened slightly.

"Stay...um..monkey...it's okay..can I have some of the bananas?" I talked to the monkey.

Yes, talked.

Whatever way I could get food.

The monkey just looked at me, and began walking forward. The closer he became, the closer I was at falling to my death. Lemme tell you, we were high up.

What a glorious monkey.

"No! Bad monkey! Shoe! Go away!" I tried to say to the monkey.