7

"I think one of those berries was bad last night Eve." I moaned and held my stomach.

I felt horrible.

Evelyn looked at me with concern

"Huh. I feel fine. Maybe you just need some rest and you'll be fine. Me and Gabby are gonna get some berries okay? Holler if you need us." Evelyn spoke.

"Thanks, Evelyn. I think I'll lay down." I said watching her walk by Gabby.

I don't know what happened. Last night when I was eating everything was okay.

It was obvious I had food poisoning. It's just, I check every berry before eating. Everyone else ate the same berries as me.

Looking around, I wondered:

Could the government put a challenge on me? I had no clue.

Getting up, I ran to the forrest and threw up. Yep. Food poisoning.

Yuck.

I walked back to camp, and took a drink of water. I really needed to get better to help out.

I remembered something about poisons. I remember I had food poisoning once before and it was brutal. My mom had told me I had to get the bug out.

I had thrown up so many times, but when I was done, I was better.

You're gonna throw up on purpose? Nice.

It seemed as the only way, so I went back to the trees, and gagged myself.

Slowly but surely, I had emptied my contents.

Not pretty if you ask me.

And so, I laid down. I felt a bit better, but I still had an aching headache and my stomach was sore.

I closed my eyes, and decided to take a nap.

•••
"Kiera, Kiera wake up." I heard a voice in the distance shaking me.

"Huh?" I mumbled groggily

"It's me, Gabby. Oh, I'm so glad you're okay! What happened?!" Gabby said frantically.

"I got food poisoning. I'm not sure if Eve told you or not." I replied

"I'm so so sorry if you ate a wrong berry Kiera! Look at you now! I mean no offense but you don't look that good! I mean I'm-"

"It's okay, Gabby." I laughed slightly at Gabby's rant.

"I'm okay, really. I think that nap was just what I needed. Although, I might pass on fishing today." I said, still half asleep.

"Yeah, I totally get it. Noah and Darren are helping me prepare now. Evelyn is boiling some water." Gabby smiled.

I looked around to see everyone busy. I didn't even see or hear them coming.

Evelyn came up to me with some water.

"Here Kiera, drink this. You have to stay hydrated." Evelyn said soothingly.

I smiled, gratefully.

"Thanks Eve. You guys are the best." I replied.

"It's no problem." She waved her hand and got back to what she was doing earlier.

Ten minutes past, and I saw Noah coming up to me.

"Here, I got you dinner. I'm not sure how much you can eat though." Noah ran his fingers through his hair.

I took the plate, and thanked him.

There was not a lot of time left on the island, and I was glad I survived this far.

Honestly, it was not the worst time in my life. The bad thing? Stopping the government. They could already be shipping people to other countries as I speak.

Eating my fish, I decided to glance at the paper again.

Obviously it was blank, but I couldn't help seeing the words I had seen days ago.

Kill

How could they kill everyone? And why would they want to use us as experiments?

Sighing, I decided I was finished. My stomach wasn't feeling that good.

I decided I was going to sleep early to get some rest. I had gotten used to the non padded floor, and it was easier to fall asleep.

"I think I'm gonna sleep early. I don't feel that well, but wake me up if you need me." I mumbled.

"Yeah, okay." Noah nodded at me.

I curled up into a ball, and was ready for sleep to overtake me.

I was sleeping for a few hours, when I sort of waked up. Opening my eyes, I saw Evelyn and Gabby by the fire.

They didn't notice me, so I strained my ears to try and listen to their conversation.

"...She said not to tell anyone, but you needed to know.." What I think was Evelyn said

"Are you kidding? This is crazy!" Gabby had the paper I had collected over the fire, reading it.

"What do I do? I said I wasn't going to tell..I feel bad." Evelyn mumbled.

"Dude, I'm your friend! And this is some messed up stuff! I can't believe the government would trick us like that." Gabby whispered.

Well, I guess Gabby knows. I don't know why I didn't want her to know.

I guess I just wanted to keep it on the down low until we got back.

"..have to do something." Gabby said.

"We should wait until Kiera is up. She did find the paper." Eve said.

Well at least their waiting for me.

I honestly did not have enough energy in me to finish listening to their conversation.

I knew that I needed sleep. Sleep was what I needed. Without it, I could die.

You never know what could happen when sick on an island.

I mean, I already had a ton of mosquito bites, but that was not the worst thing in the world.

I was going to stop the government. With Eve and Gabby or not, I was going to do something.

Just wait, government, Kiera Quinn Marshall's coming.

When she is done with this challenge, she's doing something.

And there's nothing you can do to stop her.

A/N-
Sorry for the shorter chapter.. things are about to get down...there are only 2 chapters left! Yay!