Chapter Nineteen

After escaping Cerberus who's bark, she was sure would alert Hades of her departure, Persephone did not cease in her running, she continued to pass by the dark trees that seemed to hover over her and reach out as if they were trying to stop her

After escaping Cerberus who's bark, she was sure would alert Hades of her departure, Persephone did not cease in her running, she continued to pass by the dark trees that seemed to hover over her and reach out as if they were trying to stop her. Tears continued to stream down her face, blurring her vision causing her to nearly trip and fall several times. She didn't have the slightest clue as to where she was going. Her thoughts were jumbled, her face and gown stained from soils that she had emerged from. Her eyes were burning and her breathing labored making it even harder for her to focus on anything else. 

When she finally fell to the ground, Persephone wasn't sure if she wanted to get up, she wanted to lie there for the rest of eternity and forget everything that had happened recently. For her husband to call her unfit to be a mother, it hurt her more than any physical pain she had ever endured. All she had wanted was to share her love and Hades' love with a child that she knew would be beautiful and would be happy. Hades had made her the happiest she had ever been in life, taking her away from her mother, showing her the beauty in darkness, and doing anything to bring a smile to her face. It led her to believe that he would do the same for their child, but he didn't seem to see it in the same respects. 

Zeus had ruined everything once again and just as all the times before, he would go unpunished. All the blame had fallen onto her shoulders and she was feeling it all weigh down on her as she struggled to push herself up. Her lips felt tainted from where he had kissed her, his hands had touched her and it seemed her skin was on fire, wanting to burn the sinned flesh that he had felt. Without Hades looking out for her, she was sure that Zeus would continue to pursue her until he finally got his way. Her mother had tried to protect her from Zeus' advances before but nearly failed. Persephone had felt safe when in the company of her husband because she knew that Zeus had kept away with Hades present. But he had figured a way around it and nearly gotten away with it. 

But knowing what Zeus was capable of, Persephone could not understand why Hades' anger was directed towards her and not him. The betrayal had been what pushed her ahead as she had hesitated as soon as she stood outside the opening leading to the Underworld. The thought to return to Hades and explain the entire situation crossed her mind, but she realized that she had nothing to explain, she had no need to apologize. He had been the one to jump to conclusions and lacked the faith in her that she always carried for him. 

Only moments prior did the ground shake with such violent tremors that had knocked her off of her feet and sent her falling to the ground roughly. It was the wrath of her husband that she could feel despite creating plenty of distance between herself and him. Was he angry with her or was he angry with her departure, Persephone didn't know but she didn't care either. Not in that moment as she didn't dare look back. The fear crossed her mind that he would catch up with her in no time and drag her back to the Underworld, perhaps to face a punishment for the crimes he thought she committed. 

A cry passed through her lips before her hands covered her mouth, they were shaking violently as her eyes closed attempting to seal her tears away. She lowered her head to the ground, wondering if she should accept defeat n that moment and wait for Hades to come upon her. Once she returned to the Underworld, Persephone figured she would never see the dawn light again, even if her mother wished her to spend time in her company. Perhaps she would receive a fate far worse than the Titans.