Chapter Twenty One

"It was you then?" Kore's voice whispered as she stared at the oddly familiar stranger that stood across from her

"It was you then?" Kore's voice whispered as she stared at the oddly familiar stranger that stood across from her. Her mother, in the flesh, had been so close to her for so long without her realizing, making Kore feel completely foolish. 

But how was she supposed to know? She had no recollection of her past and it was obvious that Demeter certainly had involvement with what had occurred. How could a mother do something so cruel to her own child, one that she claimed to love? But Kore was beginning to note that it wasn't love that Demeter shared for her, perhaps it had been at one point, however, at that point, it was beyond obsession now. If Demeter could not have control over her daughter, no one would share the joy of being in Kore's presence. 

Especially someone by the name of Hades.

"But why?" Kore asked. "Why would you do such a thing? Not only to Hades, but to me? You're my mother, right?"

"Do not be foolish, Kore," Demeter snapped in her direction. "Of course I am your mother, which is exactly why I did what I had to in order to protect you! I failed before and when I let my guard down, Hades stole you from me. He tricked you into believing that he loved you and that you loved him. That was not the case. He is like every other God, no different from Zeus himself. He will only act upon his own selfish needs and when he was through, he would discard you as if you were nothing. Why do you think he did not wish to have children?"

Kore remembered Hades' apology, his confession of fear that he would lose his children and his wife if they wanted to stay above the Underworld. Perhaps it sounded selfish that he didn't want to take the risk but in Kore's mind, it was so heartbreaking to hear that the mighty God that oversaw the Underworld had fears of his own. 

"Unlike his brother, Hades did not want your children because he did not want anything bound to him. He did not want to leave a trail of offspring!" Demeter's voice was full of hostility and such anger that Kore wasn't sure if all of it was directed at Hades but actually at Zeus. 

"That was not his reasoning at all," Kore replied defensively, suddenly feeling a surge of anger that called her to defend her husband's name. "He had a fear-"

"He is a poor excuse for a God then!"

"It doesn't make him weak at all!" Kore told Demeter. "You have it completely wrong. The fact that he has a fear and he was able to admit it. If he only wished to use me and then discard me like rubbish, why has he made so many attempts to get me back? Why is his voice full of hurt whenever he recalls memories that I can't remember? He believed that I was happy here, if he was the selfish one, why did he leave me to live my life the way I wanted to? Why would he give me a choice? Because he loves me."

"He does not!" Demeter shook her head, dismissing the idea completely as if it were completely far-fetch for a husband to love his wife, enough to sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of hers. "He does not love you. He has fooled you but I would never do such a thing, Kore. I am your mother, I have loved and cared about you from the beginning. I have protected you to the best of my ability. I know what the others are capable of, I have witnessed and experienced what they can do-"