Chapter Twenty Two

Thanatos with Hypnos and Morpheus behind him led the way to approach Hades again with a plan that they would be able to set in motion and hopefully help the current situation that plagued Hades' and Persephone's marriage

Thanatos with Hypnos and Morpheus behind him led the way to approach Hades again with a plan that they would be able to set in motion and hopefully help the current situation that plagued Hades' and Persephone's marriage. He came upon the God of the Underworld, who looked to be on the warpath, a look on his face that Thanatos hadn't seen for so long. Probably not since the times of war when Hades' would greet hundreds with wrath at their arrival. The tremors of the Underworld rippled through as their fierce leader was on a mission to bring his wife home. At his side accompanying him was Lakhesis, who wore a smile. What a rare sight to see as the God and the Moirai never truly got along with one another without Persephone's present to bring about balance. 

"My lord," Thanatos approached Hades, attempting to stop him and explain what he had conjured up.

"This will have to wait, Thanatos. Persephone may be in-"

"Hades, if you want your wife to remember you, it will do you some good to listen to me!" Thanatos snapped, suddenly causing everything to fall silent. He had never raised his voice in the direction of Hades, normally he remained so calm and collective while Hades was known to lose his temper. Finally, he had Hades' full attention, bringing him to sigh in relief. 

"Go on, Thanatos," Hades urged him, eager to hear of the plan and then rescue his wife from Demeter before he lost her all over again. However, rather than Thanatos speaking, the God took a couple of steps back and allowed Hypnos and Morpheus to come forward. 

"Heard you have come across a bit of a problem, Hades," Morpheus said. His presence was calming as Morpheus always spoke in such a steady and reassuring voice, his voice was as lucid as the dreams he presented. "Hypnos and I have come across the solution."

"We do not have time to base the answer around small talk," Hades replied growing impatient and practically hearing the time counting down to the moment where he felt that he would lose Persephone forever. Demeter had gone above and beyond to "protect" her daughter this time and if what Lakhesis was true, there was no telling what the Goddess of the Harvest would do to make sure that Persephone always remained with her. If she could not get control of Persephone as she pleased, Hades feared that she would destroy her own daughter, believing it was the best thing for her.

"To keep it simple," Morpheus continued, " Demeter is not capable of removing Persephone's memories, but we all know who is."

The realization was like a low blow to Hades as he felt foolish for not thinking of the goddess of memories herself.

"Mnemosyne," he muttered under his breath. "That old-"

"Correct, Mnemosyne," Morpheus nodded. "And unfortunately, she has proven her loyalty to Zeus countless times and in return, offered some assistance when Demeter cried to Zeus to help protect her daughter, even if it was at the expense of allowing Zeus to have his way with Persephone's body as he pleased."

Hades let out a low growl that resembled one of the heads of Cerberus, for Morpheus to so casually comment on Zeus taking Persephone's body for his own liking made Hades sick to his stomach but matched him with the fury that no one in the Underworld could touch upon.