30 | The Note

T O B I A S

Exhaustion pulls at my limbs like a disgruntled child, sleep waiting to be sought. I heft my bags higher on my shoulder and shut the boot of the taxi, nodding my head to the guy even if he doesn't see it before walking to the door.

"Afternoon, Mr. Chadwick."

"Joe, how are you?"

"Never better, Tobias."

"How're the kids?"

"They'd be even better if we had a few signed hats from our favourite player."

A chuckle works it's way up my throat and I tip my chin. "Tomorrow they'll be yours, Joe."

"Appreciate it." I clap him on the back before entering the air conditioned lobby.

I ignore the looks from the people surrounding me and make my way to the elevator, tapping my foot impatiently as I wait for the doors to slide open.

They do with a ding and I enter, breathing a sigh of relief when nobody hood on with me. I press the top floor and swipe my keycard.

The doors start to close when a hurried voice echoes in the lobby.

"Mr. Chadwick."

I grimace and clench my teeth but stop the doors from sliding, painting on a fake smile as a person steps into the elevator with me.

"Sorry, Mr. Chadwick. I know it's been a crazy few months for you but I have a message for you."

"That's all good, Peter."

He smiles gratefully, fixing his tux and breathing out.

"This young lady arrived a few months back, looking for you. Now usually I wouldn't entertain these visits but there was something different about this lady. She didn't seem like the usual lot that come looking for you." He raises a brow, giving me a look, "I offered to give you a message when she found out you were out of town."

I struggle to hide my wince when I think of the ladies that could've fooled this man into thinking they weren't a puck bunny.

Peter sees my wince and chuckles, patting his pockets until he finds the note and hands it to me as the elevator reaches my floor and the doors slide open. 

I step out, holding the note in my hand.

"Have a good night, Mr. Chadwick. It's good to have you back."

"Thanks, you too, Peter."

The doors slide shut and I make my way to my apartment, unlocking the door before shutting it behind me I drop my bag at my feet, dragging myself to the kitchen.

I open the fridge and wince at the smell that wafts from it. I forgot to clean it out before I left.

I slam it closed and grab my phone, throwing the folded note on the kitchen island before ringing up the local pizza joint for a delivery.

A knock on my door sounds seconds later and I throw it open,

"So did you order pizza or Chinese?"

I groan but hold the door open wider for Levi and Jason, as they walk in with hands full of beer.

"Pizza."

"Did you order enough for us?"

I hold up a finger and hit redial on my phone, adding three more pizzas to my order to be delivered at the same time before shutting the door.

I take the beer being handed to me and slump on my lounge, popping it open and taking a cold swig.

Levi walks into the kitchen, the unmistakable sound of the fridge door being opened sounds.