Chapter Fifteen: Heartache

When we'd all met up, I told them about how I'd found the guardian. Saros was mad at me for running off, but other than that he seemed keen on following my plan to recruit this guardian. When I'd explained what the guy had said, Erembour put his hand on his chin in thought. Anwyl gaped.

"He said he refused?!"Anwyl exclaimed. I shrugged.

"It's okay if he refuses, I just want to get him this medicine,"I replied, reaching into my pocket and holding the bottle up. I shook it lightly, hearing liquid slosh around in it. "This is what he tried to steal."

"And you spent money on it?"Castor asked disbelieving. I glanced at him. I knew we were short on money, but he should've been a little more sympathetic. I sighed at him and gave him an annoyed look.

"Yes, I spent money on it. What did you expect? For me to let someone's sister die? You should hold more respect and sympathy,"I chided him. He gave me a hardened gaze.

"I shouldn't have to be sympathetic for someone who isn't you,"Castor mumbled, turning his gaze to the ground. I stared at him silently and sighed.

"Come on, let's do it before dark,"I spoke. I held the bottle in my hand and turned my gaze back to it. "I know someone important who needs this." With that being decided, I lead them towards the direction that I'd been told to go by the lady at the stand. No one said a word to me as we walked, and I didn't mind it. I was focused on walking, and so I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. As a mistake on my part, I tripped over a rock. I flailed to try and keep my balance but was caught just before hitting the ground. It was Castor. He stood me upright.

"If you're going to lead us at least pay attention while walking,"he growled at me. I flinched, taken aback and watched as he walked forward, away from me. I looked down. Are you really that mad at me? I thought at him. He didn't turn around or stop, and walked forward. I guess so then. I sighed and moved quickly, passing him on the trail, as I could see the cottage in front of us. I ended up running down the large hill the cottage was below, and made it to the front door. I knocked on it and waited for an answer. I heard a noise from inside, which sounded like someone coughing.

"Wait here, Marie,"I heard. Footsteps made their way to the door and it was flung open. Immediately I found the tip of a sword pressed against my throat. Llyr, the man from earlier narrowed his eyes. He lowered the blade, just before my friends made their way over and could tell at him. "What do you want?" I held up the bottle and his eyes widened.

"Here's your medicine,"I replied. I gave him a small smile. "The lady at the stand, though it may not have been her place, told me exactly why you stole it. It's important right? So take it." Llyr gave me a suspicious look, crossing his arms after he rested the sword in the cottage beside the door. He stared at the bottle in my outstretched hand, and at my companions and myself, judging us.

"And if I do? What happens? Does my sister die because you poisoned it?"he asked. I blinked, offended. His face seemed to relax a little, and his gaze softened, as he realized that I couldn't have poisoned it at all. "No poison. Then what? You trade it for my cooperation? Force me to leave my sister or let her die?" I shook my head at him quickly.

"Just take it. We'll leave after, I just wanted to help you-"

As I was talking, I heard a sound behind our group. I turned my head and spotted a bunch of soldiers rushing down from the hill to the cottage. My eyes widened. Soldiers? Why are they here? For us? Castor grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, out of the way of a short man, who had blue tribal tattooing across his chest. The man marched up to the cottage. I stared at him in surprise as he pointed an accusing finger at Llyr, identifying him to the soldiers that had arrived.