Chapter Seventeen: Rescue

I gaped at him when we'd been sat down in a room. I was told to take a seat on a pillow, and Hajime Tatsumaru was in front of me. He was giving me a devilish grin, one that rivaled Castor's when he was teasing me about things.

"So. Which member of my family did you need to see exactly?"Hajime asked me. I felt my face grow hot with embarrassment.

"You,"I replied softly. He smiled widely.

"Well well, it must've been fate that we met,"Hajime laughed. If only you knew. I thought. "What exactly about?" I sat forward a little, adjusting my position. "A problem with the Shrine?" I sighed slightly.

"No. My name is Isla Ange, future fiancé to the second prince of Kaplana, The Golden Warrioress, Princess of the Ange Clan, and the Thousand Years mermaid. I'm on a quest to retrieve the Four Guardians, and as Fate would have it you are the last I require,"I explained. Hajime seemed to give me a knowing and understanding look. "As we were traveling in the Böse Kingdom, soldiers captured the other guardians, who were unable to use their abilities to prevent their capture. I need your help to free them as well as finish my mission to take back Kaplan's from the First Prince, Aerglo." Hajime was silent. The devilish smile had vanished in the middle of my explanation, and I gazed at him quietly, waiting for a reaction. I wondered what he was thinking as his eyes scanned me over. It was like he was examining me, as if searching for anything that would give way to a revelation that I was lying. When he seemed satisfied that I wasn't lying his eyes flickered to the sliding paper door on the left just as it slid open.

"M-master Hajime!"someone breathed. I turned and saw a man standing there out of breath, obviously from having just ran over. "General Shisui....he's come demanding payment! He's captured Lady Yuki and refuses to release her!" Hajime immediately stood up. I felt something click inside me, willing myself to stand as well. I grabbed my bow and an arrow from my quiver, quickly loading them. Hajime and the servant gave me confused looks.

"Lead me. I will do what is necessary to aid you,"I told them. The servant received a short nod from Hajime and lead me down a wooden sort of hallway. We arrived in a room with a handsome looking man. He held a younger girl up against him, a blade to her throat. I pulled an arrow back and aimed it at his head. "I could shoot you quicker than your hand would move. Release the girl or you will die." The man, General Shisui, gaped at me. His grip tightened.

"Who the hell are you?!"he demanded. Hajime made a surprised noise.

"General Shisui! To speak to a Shrine Priestess like that. How disrespectful,"Hajime chided. The General gritted his teeth, not releasing the girl. "I told you, you will receive payment as soon as I can manage it. Be patient."

"I want my payment now, Hajime. I demand it,"The General growled. I tightened my hand on the bow. The General tensed up.

"My guess is, by noticing my stance you would note that it is apparent I never miss,"I told him. He ground his teeth before releasing the girl. She fled and ran into the arms of Hajime. I lowered my bow and it was over. After that Hajime informed me he would discuss things in the morning. I was given a room, and as I lay down on a strange thing on the floor that night, I stared up at the ceiling unwilling to sleep. I couldn't. It was odd without the warmth beside me. I l felt a void, trying to sleep without Castor.

No matter how many times I closed my eyes and tossed and turned....I couldn't do it.

Castor....I can't sleep without you.

•••

In the cell, Castor's head jerked up at the sound of Isla's distressed thought.

I can't sleep without you.