08. Art of Horse Riding.

Vote & comment

________________

We took a rowboat to shore since the ship was too large to dock in the shallow water. I felt all eyes on me as I adjusted the dark brown tailcoat Mr Stafford had chosen for me to wear. Eight sailors were aboard the second rowboat, with a further ten on the third, while Sir Peter, Captain Frank and Mr Stafford were on the same one as me. And for some reason, Mr Stafford had ordered for me to sit beside him, as in, right beside him, as in, almost sitting on his lap.

For a second time, I locked eyes with Sir Peter. He had an amused expression on his face. "See something you like, Ms Oliver?" he smugly asked.

I opened my mouth, but Mr Stafford cut across me by saying, "I thought I made myself clear when I said you will not talk to her, Peter."

"Relax, Ross, I was merely—"

"No, I do not care what you were merely saying; do not talk to her." My dear employer sneered. My heart almost jumped out of my chest when I felt an arm snake around me and pull me towards a body. I looked up to find Mr Stafford staring at me. "Do not talk to him; that is an order."

"Y-yes, Mr Stafford, Sir."

Did Mr Stafford's arm leave me for the journey to the shore? No, it did not. Even upon arriving, he stayed by my side. With his hand against the lower part of my back, Mr Stafford led me into the town. We were instantly greeted by a well-built man. He has broad shoulders and muscular arms, larger than Mr Stafford's; he's even taller if that were even possible.

I feel like a midget compared to both of them.

The man's brown eyes never left mine as he whispered something in French to Mr Stafford, who nodded. "Monsieur, but she is a femme," he says loud enough for me to hear him.

"Excuse me?" I raise a brow at the man. "I can not speak French."

Remind me to learn French at some point.

"Mademoiselle, I was simply saying it is unusual for Monsieur to employ a femme."

"Femme?"

"Do not worry about it, Ms Anne. Alexandre here will be accompanying us. He's my bodyguard." My mouth fell gap at the same time Alexandre muttered a string of words. "Alexandre, if you refuse, you know what will happen." Mr Stafford threatened.

"She is a femme!"

"Do you have a problem with my sexual organs being on the inside?"

"Si,"

Another sexist joins the group. Yay for me.

"Oh, well, that is your problem then, isn't it?" I smirked, crossing my arms.

~...~

Alexandre had explained the situation at the Logging Camp to Mr Stafford, which is located northeast of La Rochelle, near the small town of Mervent. But to get there, we've got to try to avoid being seen by a group of bandits. Apparently, that's why Alexandre is here.

"Monsieur, we should leave before midday," Alexandre said while he hooked bags around his saddle. "Can Mademoiselle ride?" he turned around, holding reins for two horses.

I snatched one off him, saying, "Of course I can ride!"

I am officially in trouble.

Thanks to my Uncle, I have not ridden a horse in years.

Mr Stafford watched me as I climbed on the horse, well attempted to. He rolled his eyes when I ended up being mounted backwards. "Ms Anne, you are backwards. Do you intend to steer the beast with its tail?"